safe & sound

❝ 𝐒𝐀𝐅𝐄 & 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃 ❞

𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒍𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒊'𝒍𝒍 𝒃𝒆 𝒔𝒂𝒇𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒔𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅

♔ ♔ ♔ ♔ ♔

serena lense 👊🏽

Today 22:27

hey
you like ice cream?

i love ice cream

good
meet me outside in 5?

you got it

"look at us? going to get ice cream together. i wouldn't have guessed that in a million years," serena chuckled, emerging from the front gates of petco.

"coworkers can have a little fun too," fernando joked.

"i figured it would be right to make everything about last night up to you somehow." she continued, as they began to walk.

"don't worry about last night. it was nothing."

serena shrugged, "well, i think you also need some cookie monster ice cream to de-stress before you start your season in triple a."

"de-stress?"

"what? you're not nervous about these next two weeks?"

"i'm not worried about myself. i just don't know about everyone else. a lot of people still hate me after everything. i don't want any more fastballs to the ribs."

"i'm happy that you were able to move past your confidence issues and have a little faith in yourself. i bet you'll be unstoppable."

"thanks." fernando smiled, "hey, i wanna loop back around real quick. you like cookie monster ice cream?" he grimaced, scrunching his nose.

"yes? are you trying to dog on my favorite ice cream flavor?"

"yeah, kind of. personally, i like rocky road."

"that's nasty."

"be quiet," he shushed, as they approached the ice cream place.

serena quickly walked up to the register.

"hello! i'm going to get 1 scoop of rocky road on a waffle cone and another cone with a scoop of cookie monster!" she stated, looking back at fernando.

"seriously? i can pay for my own."

"you paid for my coffee last time."

"fine."

once serena picked their ice cream up, they went outside to sit down.

"i still can't believe aj believed our story," serena giggled, "i looked super hungover the entire day. i had soto in for an appointment and he even noticed."

"it's okay, because if anyone asks you're still a little sick."

"exactly." she grinned, and fernando began to laugh at her.

"your teeth are all blue!" he exclaimed.

"leave me and my cookie monster ice cream alone!" she retorted.

"okay, okay," fernando settled, "how are you truly feeling after last night?"

"pretty stupid."

"well..."

"i literally started a relationship with my client and everyone knew. but for whatever reason no one stopped me," she looked down, "it's unprofessional. but it was so hard when it felt like everyone was pushing for us. nobody was against the idea of macK and i. i got invited to team dinners almost every night and instead of sitting at the table with the wives and other girls they made me sit at the end near macK. it was so..." serena trailed, searching for the right word, "it was bizarre."

"you live and learn."

"yup," she sighed, "what time is your flight tomorrow?"

"4am." he groaned, "it's so i'll get there at 10am texas time and be able to play for opening day there."

"jeez. you need a ride? you're gonna need to be there about 1am, and that's not too far away."

"yeah. i'd appreciate that."

"well, i have a lot of favors to offer after everything."

"you want to start walking? i need to go grab my luggage from my condo."

"sure."

the pair began to walk. it was already around midnight considering the late hour that serena got off work at.

"you've got a little something," fernando laughed, pointing to the spot on her face that had cookie monster ice cream on it.

"here?" she asked, trying to wipe what was not the spot.

"no," he smiled, "lemme just," he wiped his finger across the spot, which only smeared it more because serena couldn't stop laughing.

"sorry!"

"quit laughing!" he chuckled, finally getting the ice cream off.

serena couldn't quite explain what she was feeling right now as she threw away her ice cream and shoved her hands into her pockets while walking next to fernando.

she felt so happy and relaxed. at peace.

the girl practically had to rack her brain for macK to return to her mind...

but what scared her a little was that she didn't have to search very far for fernando in it.

you guys will love the next chapter ;)