cruel summer

❝ 𝑪𝑹𝑼𝑬𝑳 𝑺𝑼𝑴𝑴𝑬𝑹 ❞

it's a cruel summer.

⌖ ⌖ ⌖ ⌖ ⌖

"beautiful day," jake whistled, as serena adjusted her bucket hat to see it was him.

"hey jake," she smiled, watching tim hill stacking up cans of energy drinks in the distance. the king of the hill was an odd one.

next to him, was fernando, nick, and josh - who were kicking around a soccer ball.

"are you nervous for him?" he asked, referring to fernando. he noticed her afarness.

"hm?" serena returned, looking over at jake with a confused look within her irises. she seemed unsure of who he was taking about.

"fernando? are you nervous for him?" jake repeated. he assumed by the way she was staring at him she would.

"of course i am," she stated, "but everyone loves him around these parts. the real test will be dodger stadium."

"it's gonna be a big step for him."

"yeah."

"what about you? something on your mind?"

serena's eyes didn't peel or flinch away from jake at his inquiry. he tried to ignore their beadiness as the girl contemplated if she should tell him about the dark cloud in her mind.

"a lot of people don't approve of our relationship," serena finally murmured. her eyes fell back to the men over yonder, watching as josh pelted the ball into tim's tower of bang cans.

"the big guy already giving you issues?" he frowned, referring to aj preller.

"surprisingly, no. not yet," she shrugged.

"melvin?"

"no."

"well i couldn't imagine peter caring, but, is it him?"

"no. it's his parents actually."

"fernando's?" jake questioned.

serena nodded in response.

"really?" he thought, a perplexed expression clouding his face, "no offense, but i thought out of anyone being the problem it would've been your parents."

serena snickered. jake knew fernando's parents, and he'd met serena's parents at opening day last year. he found them both quite interesting. serena's were just more interesting.

"he said they liked me," she began to explain, eyes following the guys playing soccer once more, "they just didn't like us together. it's because i'm his psycologist. i get it, i do, i just can't imagine losing him."

"you actually think he's gonna break up with you?" jake furrowed his eyebrows, catching the serious gaze on her face. "have you guys talked about that?"