betty

❝ 𝑩𝑬𝑻𝑻𝒀 ❞

the worst thing that i ever did was what i did to you

did was what i did to you.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

the melancholic piano rang softly through juan's house. its melody was beautifully dispiriting. anyone on the outside wouldn't have known juan soto lived there... he was much too happy and bubbly for the tune.

thursdays night off-days were for team dinners, and traditionally were either held at juan, xander, or manny's place.

joe was the first to arrive, but not the first to see what they all unknowingly came for. kimmy beat him to that.

he almost didn't recognize her when he discovered her sitting shoulder to shoulder with tommy on the piano. the way they were laughing as the reliever attempted to mimic her cordial playing, you would've thought they were closer than just friends.

but, he soon realized by her hypnotic bright eyes and fragile features that it was just a girl who missed home. it was a girl trying to find peace in something she yearned for... but couldn't.

"serena lense?" he called hesitantly, his entire expression becoming soft as he saw the familiar sight. goodness, he almost didn't want it to be her. he wasn't sure if he could accept her metamorphosis.

"who're you talking-?" joe chirped, freezing in place at the illusory girl.

serena was like a ghost to them now. she'd been gone for so long, and even though the bridges between the players hadn't exactly been burnt... it felt like they were.

"you two look like you've seen a ghost!" serena chuckled, jumping up from the piano and immediately embracing ha-seong.

"well..." joe argued humorously, "when we talk about you now it's like you're dead. not that we want you dead, but the subject is touchy."

"that's comforting," she deadpanned, hugging him after kimmy.

"how long have you been in town?" the pitcher inquired. serena was already aware of all the questions she'd be ambushed with.

"flew in with the team this morning. you guys know i don't usually go on the road, but i couldn't miss this one for nothing." serena smiled.

"i bet they suck," tom spat randomly, referring to the mets. he was still exclusively infatuated with playing the piano. god, it sounded atrocious when he did it.

"they're no worse than you guys," the girl shot back comically.

"i meant personality wise." he yawned, throwing up and L with his fingers.