⁶ its in the past

❝ 𝑰 𝑾𝑰𝑺𝑯 𝒀𝑶𝑼 𝑾𝑶𝑼𝑳𝑫 ❞

i wish you would.

fernando cursed to himself in spanish, throwing his batting helmet back into the cubby

fernando cursed to himself in spanish, throwing his batting helmet back into the cubby. he had a rough go of it today — especially since it was macK.

he couldn't stand to watch everyone on the padres go up and catch up with cj and macK after their awful, poverty team just killed them 8-3. as much as he liked cj, his defeated ass was storming straight down to the showers and going home.

the boy whooshed right past xander and manny, who were collecting their dreadful game reports. manny shook his head at fernando's rush.

"i'll go talk to him," xander said softly, aware that manny probably wanted to conversate with his former teammates.

"thanks. i'll be down in a few." manny returned with appreciation, joining the majority of the guys up on the field.

a void-like feeling brewed in xander's stomach as he descended down the dark stairwell into the clubhouse tunnel. he had no idea what he was about to get himself into with an irritable fernando, but he knew exactly what he needed to say if he had to straighten the kid out.

meanwhile, joe was up on the field with macK. he was all smiles — especially since he legitimately just swept their asses. although juan was an essential part of their team, the nationals won that trade.

"hey kid," manny smiled faintly. after everything that boy had been through in the minors, and his come up last year... he had to be proud.

"hey," macK greeted, going in to dap him up, but got a big hug instead. that was unexpected — especially from manny machado.

"wow." the pitcher breathed, "are you guys being nice to me because you're genuinely proud of me or is this another serena favor?" he questioned unsurely.

joe cracked a tight-lip grin. that was macK. master of insecurity and awkwardness. unfortunately, it was sad to know his paranoia and anxiety never went away.

"your glory fulfills us too, macKenzie. there's nothing more great than you and cj tearing it up, no matter how stupid you acted earlier this year. we miss her too though, and if you could say hello... just, say hello for us." joe stuttered.

manny shook his head in comic disbelief. it was bewildering to him how macK and serena were suddenly best friends again.

"well, i want you guys to know she's doing well. our fireworks already exploded, but i think she's still a little lost in fernando's atom bomb." he explained, "the last time i saw her i told her to give you guys a call, but i know she's also facing some resurgences in her problems back home from being so close to canada."

joe nodded empathetically. "sofia seems nice."

"yeah. sofia's a great sister... but there's a reason she tries to stay as far away from that border as possible," macK sighed, "she's got a new guy too — i think. she told cj they're talking more, but it's nothing serious. he seems nice. he doesn't seem like he'll emotionally scar her like fernando and i did either." the boy dryly cracked. that had to be one of his greatest regrets of adulthood. that could easily be a regret of anyone.

"as long as she's happy," manny pursed his lips.

"i just hope so."

big talk 🔜

big talk 🔜