⋆ chasing that fame she stayed the same

MIDNIGHT RAIN

"i guess sometimes we all get some kind of haunted

"i guess sometimes we all get some kind of haunted."

"So? You and MacK?" Kacie asked, sipping her iced tea.

"Not exactly." Serena replied unsurely. Kacie returned a perplexed look, "You know what they say... distance makes the heart grow farther."

"You guys really have talked that little? I thought you guys were endgame."

"We've talked — well, argued. Argued more than we've talked, it feels like."

"Have you apologized? What I've found with Eric is sometimes you just have to bite the barrel and take the fall. It's hard, but it's been one of the best things in our relationship. I mean, we're away from each other all the time. Both in-season and off-season. You just sacrifice things for each other, I guess." Kacie explained, trying to make some sense and shed some light on the situation.

"Yeah." Serena agreed, "That's not how I am though. I'm here for myself. How I was towards him at the psychology office should be different from how I am outside of it. I don't think I should be putting up with boysh!t 24/7."

Kacie gestured in agreement, taking another sip of her tea, "Preach, hun."

"How's Eric liking the Cubs?" Serena asked, changing the subject. She didn't want to think about this whole situation anymore.

"I really don't know. He's had no problems settling into the clubhouse or with the other guys, but even as his wife, sometimes I wonder when it's time to hang the cleats up and put the bats away."

"I get it." Serena replied, once again, she understood better than anyone else regarding how badly Eric had been struggling.

"Yeah. He understands it though. He knows his playtime is gonna be limited but he just enjoys doing it."

"Is he adjusting alright with being a new father?"

"Oh, yeah! He's a great father!"

The women chatted for another hour, before the bill came and it was time to go. Kacie drove S back to CJ and MacK's airbnb.

Although Serena wasn't hungry at this point, she was willing to go to dinner like they planned because she wanted to see MacK.

Unfortunately, when Kacie dropped Sasha back off the door was locked and by the time Sasha noticed Kacie was already gone. Neither MacK or CJ must've been home because she stood there for a good 5 minutes before texting them.

CJ said he wasn't home.

Serena then texted MacK.

macK G

VIEW CONTACT

Hey are we going to dinner as planned?

And are you home

Srry i cant

Im still at the field

Oh okay

Thats fine

Do you want to go later

IDK im probably going to be another hour

Im really sorry but i jus want to be 100% for the season yk

Yeah its alright

As badly as Serena wanted to get angry, she realized it would be hypocritical if she did.

Just a few months ago she was sitting in her own office telling MacK she wouldn't come see her because of work.

Not to say what she was feeling right now wasn't awful... but the fact she did this to him before made it sting worse.

republished 6/21/23