My Own Worst Enemy

"Derek, talk to me!" I cried seeing my alpha distressed. "Stiles, I told you I'm fine." He replied leaning against the island in the new kitchen of the Hale house. "Obviously you're not." I replied. Derek cancelled the pack meeting an hour before it was supposed to start. I showed up early, just as he was calling everyone. He looked like he was on the verge of tears and even with me in the room he allowed himself to punch the wall in the living room several times leaving giant holes behind.

"Derek!" I yelled getting annoyed. He's always there to make me feel better, I need to make him feel better."Stiles! I SAID I'M FINE!" His voice cracking making him look away as if he betrayed himself. "Why won't you let me in?" I asked. Derek glared at me "Why won't you just leave?" He snapped. I laughed under my breath. "Seriously, what's eating away at you? I just want to help." My voice was soft. Derek didn't respond, he stood there, gaze locked on the table in front of him as he silently let a tear fall from his eye. I made my way over to him making his eyes meet mine. "Talk to me." I said softly. He shook his head "It's not going to fix anything." He let out a harsh laugh. "I didn't say it would, but, it might help a little." I let my thumb run over the scruff on his face as if it was something I did all the time. He brought his hand up to meet mine, not moving it from his face. "I can't do this anymore." He said quietly. "Do what Der?" I asked bringing my other arm up to rest on his neck. "This. Lead a pack. I-I can't do it. How am I supposed to care for everyone when I-I don't even want to get up in the morning. I can't even look at myself anymore. I-I killed m-my family. I can't...I can't kill you guys too." He said letting the tears finally fall. "Derek, you're a great alpha. I swear to god. No one in the pack would have any clue what to do if you weren't here. It's okay to struggle with things but you didn't kill your family and you need to get that through your thick head, it wasn't you. And it's not going to happen ever again. I promise." I said. I felt him rest his hands on my waist. "You don't understand." He mumbled. "Yeah, I do. I'm my own worst enemy, I know what it's like to not want to get up in the morning. To look in the mirror and hate what stares back at me. My mom said I wanted to kill her when she was sick, she truly believed I was out to get her and I blame myself everyday for her dying as soon as she did." I told him. "You didn't kill your mom, Stiles." He scolded. "And you didn't kill your family, Derek. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone struggles with something. You just need to remember that I'm here for you. Me and the pack, we're always here for you. You don't need to be this big bad alpha all the time, we'll love you no matter what. I'll love you no matter what." I didn't mean to say the last part, but it's true. 

Derek rested his forehead against mine. "Don't leave." He whispered. "I wouldn't dream of it." I told him.

The next morning I woke up pressed against Derek, his strong arms holding me close and I don't think I've ever been more content. I moved a little to get more comfortable when Derek's rough voice broke the silence. "Thanks Stiles." He said. "I love you" He sounded tired but I knew he was awake. "I love you too." I replied feeling him tighten his grip for a second and loosening it again as if he was giving me a hug. I smiled pushing my head closer to his neck. A low, content grumble rose up his throat as we laid together, awake, soaking in the presence of each other. 

The meeting was rescheduled and I made sure to stop by early, like I always did. I had been at Derek's the past few days, his request, and we sat around watching tv. He kept me trapped in his arms the entire day unless I had to use the bathroom or shower. If I wanted food, he got it for me or followed me into the kitchen. I told him my dad wanted me to come home and he whined. Needless to say, he snuck through my window that night.

As soon as I got to Derek's for the meeting, the alpha picked me up and spun me around. "Hey big guy." I laughed wrapping my arms around him for support. He set me down burying his head in my neck. "You seem happy." I laughed. "I missed you." He replied. I smiled "I missed you too you giant puppy." I laughed. "M'not a puppy."

Halfway through the meeting Derek pulled me off the couch to join him on his spot against the wall. "I was comfortable." I said giving him the angriest look I could muster. I didn't seem to care as he wrapped his arms around me and continued the meeting. I sighed laying my head on his shoulder letting my arms wrap around his waist. 

I could tell by looks during the rest of the meeting the pack was confused, and honestly, I was too. I wasn't exactly sure what exactly was going on between the alpha and myself but I knew how much I liked it and never wanted it to end.

I'm guessing Derek realized something was wrong because he gave me a sad look. "What's going on?" Scott finally spoke. I shrugged looking directly at Derek hoping he'd get the hint. The alpha smiled at me before leaning in and kissing me. It was short, but amazing in every way possible. "You're mine you goof." He said softly. "Like, officially?" I whispered unsure. He nodded before mumbling "mine" and pushing his face into my neck. I smiled to myself as the pack made small comments.

"AWH FINALLY!" Isaac shouted. Both Derek and I were looking at the beta in confusion. "I've been rooting for you guys since day one. Like, no joke. OTP." He said as-a-matter-of-factly. Scott laughed  making the rest of the pack burst into laughter too. Derek shook his head kissing me again. "Thanks, again, for the other night." He whispered for me to hear. "Anytime Der." I replied. He hummed picking me up and squeezing me. "I'm never letting you go." He mumbled. "I need to breathe buddy." I said struggling in his grasp. "Sorry." He replied setting me back down and letting me regain my breath.

The meeting was a lost thought as the pack watched Derek in a state they'd never seen before. He offered to take everyone out to dinner pressing a kiss to my forehead in the middle of his sentence. All throughout dinner he held my hand, and complimented me.

"Why are you so..not you today? Not that it's bad! But, I'm not used to it." I said after the pack left. "I'm just happy. And I want you to be happy." He said putting the dishes from the dishwasher away. "I am happy." I replied jumping onto the counter. "Not with yourself you aren't. We're guna fix that." He said. "You're not happy with yourself either." I fought back. "Guess we have to fix that too." He mumbled pushing himself between my legs and kissing me. "We will. We're pretty fan-fucking-tastic together if I say so myself." I replied making the other roll his eyes. "I'm going to bed." He laughed walking off. "But Der!" I jumped off the counter following him. "Baby come back!" I sang hearing him chuckle. "Why do I like you?" He questioned under his breath pulling me to his side as I climbed in bed next to him. "Cause I'm cute." I joked. "You're gorgeous, darling." He kissed me half asleep. "Stop it you." I replied curling into him. "Never." He whispered. "Now, go to sleep."