He's Gone

"Hey, I'm gonna shower." Derek said coming up behind Stiles.

"Good, you smell." Stiles laughed.

Rolling his eyes Derek responded, "if the pizza comes my wallet is on the counter."

Stiles nodded, Derek pressed a kiss to his cheek and walked off.

It wasn't long before the pizza arrived. Stiles grabbed Derek's wallet and pulled out the cash sitting in the fold. When he pulled it out a picture came with it, falling to the floor.

Stiles paid the guy and collected the picture and the pizza making his way back toward the kitchen in the new small apartment Derek finally got after the loft. He looked at the picture before returning it to its spot.

It was of what looked like a young Derek and an older man that Stiles could only assume was his father. The older had him in the arms, the younger wrapped his arms tightly around the others neck pressing their cheeks together.

The corners of the picture were torn and there were creases throughout but it looks like it's help up pretty well from when it had been taken. He pushed it back into the wallet where it was and set it on the counter.

After Derek showered they settled into the couch, pizza in front of them and some cans of coke on the coffee table.

"Hey Der?" Stiles said softly, picking at the cheese on his pizza, "I didn't mean to snoop but the picture in your wallet..is that your dad?"

Derek smiled sadly, "Yeah. That was the last picture I got with him before he died."

"But you're so little in the picture..the fire...?"

Derek set his plate down and turned toward the younger. "My dad died before the fire. I was about six I think."

Derek couldn't sleep. Something didn't feel right but his mom put him to bed and he was told to stay there. It wasn't even his bed time though. The sun was still up, barely but it was. He laid there as long as his little body would let him before he found his way down the stairs.

His mother and Laura were curled up together on the floor in the den. They were crying. Derek looked around trying to find his dad because he needed to fix it, he needed to make his mama okay.

He pulled open the front door and stood on the porch looking around, "Papa!!"

When he got no answer he shrugged and continued down the path toward the woods. "Papa!!" He continues to call throughout his search, getting himself deeper into the woods. "Papa!!"

"Derek?" The younger whipped himself around seeing his uncle standing behind him. "What're you doing out here little wolf?" He asked, crouching down to his level.

"I need to find Papa because mommy and Laura are sad and he needs to make it better."

"Your Papa isn't coming, bud."

Derek scrunched his brows and tilted his head, "What do you mean? When's Papa gonna be home?"

"Papa is never coming home."

Derek shook his head, "no Papa always comes home he promised. He NEVER breaks his promises."

"Derek, your Papa isn't coming back okay? He can't."

"But he promised.." tears spilled down the youngers face. "Papa always comes home."

"I know bub." Peter sighed, pulling him into his arms and walking back toward the house.

"He never came back." Derek said sadly, "mom told me later on that he jumped in front of her during a fight and saved her life...it ended his."

"Derek I'm so sorry." Stiles said squeezing his hand.

"It's okay."

"You didn't have to tell me that."

"I know, I wanted to tell you." Derek pressed a kiss on the others lips.

"I know he's proud of you."

Derek rolled his eyes, "shut up." There was no heat behind it, the smile on his face was fond.

Stiles just smiled back, leaning to lay on the other, "So Peters like really old?"

Derek laughed, "kinda yeah. He kinda became the father figure in my life though." He squeezes the younger. "He was there for everything, helped me control my shift and with my homework and he helped me understand why i also like boys."

Stiles nodded, holding onto him tighter. "That's why I don't hate him." Derek continued, "I just can't hate him."

"I get it. Melissa became my mom when..."

"Melissa's a nice woman." Derek laughed, "Peters a douche."

"True." Stiles sighed, "I love you, Derek."

"I love you more."

"I can't wait till we have kids and they call you Papa."

Derek smiled at that, "I can't wait either."