The Past Can Hurt

"The past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it." -Rafiki, The Lion King

"You're such a weirdo." Laura laughed when Derek walked out of his room with a beanie on his head. ("It's the middle of summer, take that thing off." "Leave your brother alone, Laura.")

"So you've told me before." Derek rolled his eyes fixing his glasses.

Cora walked out of her room, high waisted jeans and a lace crop top on. Her gray cardigan falling lazily off of her shoulders. "Why do you do this every morning?"

"Do what exactly?"

"Tease him for his clothes. We should tease you. You're so mean."

Laura laughed, "It's my job as the oldest to be mean to you two. It's Derek's job to be mean to you."

"Than what's my job?"

Derek shrugged, "To cry about it?"

Laura laughed hearing their mother call them downstairs for breakfast. She turned making sure to hit Derek with the leather jacket in her hand as she bounded off.

Derek sighed seeing his younger sister sitting on the kitchen counter eating a bowl of cereal. She was wearing all black now, her hair was never curled, she wore little to no makeup. He couldn't say much, he totally changed after the fire had happened too. He traded in his hoodies for the leather jacket his dad used to wear, his band tees became simple plain shirts, and his glasses were hidden in his drawer replaced by contacts instead.

"Stop being so sad, you're killing my vibe." Cora said not looking up from her phone.

Sighing he walked toward her opening the cupboard behind her to get himself a bowl. "Why don't you curl your hair anymore?" He asked.

Cora snapped her head up to meet his gaze. "You know why. It's the same reason you stopped wearing your stupid beanie." She glared at her brother. "Why the hell would you ask me that?"

"Guess I'm still not used to it." He shrugged.

--

"Do you even listen to that band?" Laura pushed Derek.

"Yeah, unlike you Laura, I'm not trying to fit into the crowd of idiots at school."

"Say's the captain of the basketball team." She scoffed.

Derek rolled his eyes, "You're annoying."

"Thanks, I try my best." She smirked.

"Derek!" Cora yelled.

He turned to see the younger running toward him, "Can you take me to the mall?"

"Why?" He asked, he'd had his license for two seconds and she was already asking for rides?

"There's this dress in this store that you don't care about that I've been saving up for and they're having a sale today and please. I'll do all your chores for the rest of the week."

Derek rolled his eyes. "Yeah, whatever."

Derek stared at the box sitting on his bedroom floor. He hasn't opened it since New York, since before Laura had died. It took him a good ten minutes before he could open the box, another twenty before he could even take anything out of it.

"Hey, Der-" Cora stopped talking when she saw her brother on the couch reading. She smiled seeing his old Nirvana shirt and his glasses back on his face. She sat next to him, cuddling into his side, head on his shoulder.