Waiting On Postcards

This story is the story that gave me writer's block and partially made me stop writing. It's also like 8,000 words and probably my favorite one shot I've written so grab a snack and get comfy.

Stiles sighed locking his phone and setting in the free cup holder glancing over at Derek who had one of his arms resting on the window holding his head up as he kept driving. The two had barely spoken since they left without a word to the pack. He wasn't even quite sure why Derek had asked him to go with him or what it was for but it sounded like fun and he was taking a year off before he even thought about college. He knew it was going to be too much for himself right after high school. He wasn't mentally stable enough at the moment and everyone in the pack knew he'd still gotten really bad nightmares since the nogitsune. He was drowning in just about as much guilt as Derek was and the last thing anyone did was bring the situation up to either of them.

He watched Derek move into another lane to take the next exit, he tried not to question the wolf but he didn't think it was time to get off the highway yet. He let out another sigh focusing on the quiet music in the background. On the bright side, Derek was letting him play what he wanted. Derek sniffed and crinkled his nose as his phone started ringing. He pulled it from his pocket and passed it over to Stiles with a quiet, "Can you answer that? I don't want to talk to her."

Stiles looked sadly over at him pulling the phone from his hand and swiping across the screen to answer.

"Hey, Cora."

"Stiles? Hey, are you guys still driving?"

"Yeah. Derek's not really in the mood to talk." Stiles said seeing Derek give him a 'thanks, asshole' look.

"Derek's never in the mood to talk." Cora laughed, "Just have him call me or something later, when he's in the mood. And check in every now and then so I know you guys are okay."

"Alright."

"Bye, Stiles."

"She wants you to call her later."

"Okay." Derek didn't bother taking his phone back, Stiles smiled at his wallpaper. It was of him and Cora. He looked at the picture for another minute before locking Derek's phone and setting it in the cup holder with his. "Did you tell Scott?"

 "Did you tell Scott?"

Stiles' head shot over because that's not what he was expecting Derek to say, not that he was expecting much out of the other anyways. "I, uh, no. You asked me not to tell the pack. Scott can't keep secrets."

The conversation died after that. Derek quickly finding a hotel to stay at and booking them a room. After getting up to their room Derek mumbled something about getting room service if Stiles was hungry and that he was going to take a shower. Stiles sighed pulling out the menu and sitting on one of the two beds. He turned on the TV, flipped through a few channels before finding one that he was content with, and began looking through what the hotel had for food. Settling on grilled cheese he knocked on the bathroom door opening it just a crack to ask Derek if he wanted anything, the wolf declined with a grunt making Stiles sigh again and close the door. He was doing that a lot lately, sighing.