Why I'll Never Let Him Go

Derek Hale is a strange one and that's putting it in simple terms. I remember meeting him with Scott in the woods as teenagers and everything since then has just sort of fallen into place. It's taken awhile but it found its way.

Our first date was probably the most nerve wracking thing I've ever experienced and the fact that I fought the panic attack that was sitting on the edge all night still shocks me. So, when Scott asked me 'Are you sure he's the one?' after we announced our engagement a few weeks ago I started second guessing everything. Simply because, Derek Hale still scares me.

But...then I started thinking.

He Makes Me Laugh even when I'm at my lowest low and that's not something anyone has been able to do since my mom passed away. Since Derek Hale came into my life I've been happy. Everyday. Maybe not all day but at some point he manages to make me smile each and every day.

He's Affectionate. Shocking, I know. But he is. He's that guy that rolls over after waking up in the morning and pulls you close. He runs his hands down your arms or sides until you wake up and before you're even aware of your surrounding he gives the biggest brightest smile. He'll come up behind me throughout the day and just hold me. I mean, there's always those occasionally horny dry humping tendencies that happen but sometimes he just want to hold me.

He Listens and I don't mean he pretends to listen. He's remembered everything I've ever told him. I'll apologize for blabbing on about Star Wars or Doctor Who for the millionth time and the only thing he's responded with has been 'No go on. I like listening to your voice.' And he's never not taken my side on something.

He's Amazing With Kids. No, we don't have kids. But, Laura and her husband had a little girl, Emma, about six years ago and he's so good with her. I've never expected Derek Hale to melt my heart just by playing with his niece. I mean. God it's amazing. I remember being with him once when he was babysitting so Laura could have a "date night" and it was just adorable. He had a little tea party with her and they colored and he taught her how to make pancakes because she really wanted pancakes and as I was supposed to be studying I heard him start singing to her as the danced-she was standing on his feet with the biggest smile I've ever seen. At the end of the night she mumbled "love you uncle Der" and I've never seen Derek look so happy.

He Adores Me. I mean, duh, who doesn't? But, seriously. Laura tells me that he's always gushing about me when I'm not around and to be totally honest it makes my stomach flip to hear. He scents me so often I'm pretty sure I could boil myself and the smell would remain. And at the end of every week he gets me something stupid. A small bouquet of flowers, a coffee from my favorite little coffee shop, a candy bar from the gas station. He always has something waiting for me when I get to his place after being away at college all week.

He Does The Dishes. This one might sound like a horrible reason to decipher whether or not marrying Derek is the right thing to do or whether or not I'm even ready to spend my life with a werewolf full of anger management problems but, he hates doing the dishes. HATES it. He said he'd rather have wolfsbane shoved in every bodily orifice he has than do the dishes, yet, he'll do them so I don't have to. I also hate the dishes, although, not enough to put myself in tremendous pain.

He Can Cook...Sort of...It's not like I'm eating at a five star restaurant whenever Derek cooks but he knows how to make some chicken and boil noodles and dump a store bought jar of alfredo sauce on it and it turns out quite decent if you ask me and that's all I need. Not to mention he can grill up a pretty mean steak. Whatever I don't know how to cook he does. It's like a team effort and it's really nice.

He's Smart. And I'm not saying I'd love him any less if he wasn't but it still amazes me that being on the honor roll my entire life and just barely beating Lydia for Valedictorian, Derek can still say things that make me think. It takes me a minute to comprehend what he said. He's super good at English and Science too. Like, he's helped me on some of my papers since I've started college and he looks at them like its elementary level. Not to mention he's knows how to fix up things around the house so my weak ass doesn't have to worry about that.

He Tells Me How Beautiful I Am. Everyday. Even if he hasn't seen me. Even if I just got up and my hairs a mess with dried drool down my chin. He tells me I'm beautiful. I remember making him go to prom with me my senior year of high school and his jaw was basically on the ground when he saw me. (Or at least that's what the pack says).

He Surprises Me constantly. He tends to show up on campus randomly just because. He won't have any other reason besides 'I missed you' or 'I just wanted to' and it's my favorite thing ever especially when I've had a stressful week and he knows about it. He'll bring some take out and flowers or a stuffed animal or something and just show up at my dorm room and watch Netflix with me all night.

He Respects Me. If I say no, he stops. He doesn't try to push me any further, doesn't try to make me want to do something I don't want to (sexual or not), and he apologizes for it even if he didn't do anything wrong. He also protects and stands up for me no matter where we are or who we're around. He got kicked out of a restaurant once because he stood up for me after some douchebag kept making comments about us being a couple. Another bonus, protective Derek is a major turn on.

My Dad Likes Him. Making sure my dad liked Derek was such an important thing to me and knowing that my dad has arrested him truly scared the shit out of me before I told my dad about our relationship. Thankfully, when the night came that I brought Derek to my house to have dinner with my dad he wasn't upset. He actually said he thought we were good together. Throughout the whole supernatural debacle and everything I guess my dad realized Derek isn't a bad guy.

Sitting here watching Derek in the living room with Emma as Laura and Cora sit on the couch and the pack walk around the house made everything click. I'm not scared of Derek. I'm scared of losing him. And there's so many reasons why I'll never let him go.