Bonding With The Sheriff

"You don't understand, Scott." Stiles whined while the two walked toward the school parking lot.

Scott laughed, "I don't get the big deal."

"My dad wants to have dinner with Derek. How is that not a big deal?" He rolled his eyes. "Why aren't you freaking out?"

Scott snorted just before heading in the other direction toward his mom's car, Stiles heading toward his Jeep. The pale boy hummed happily to himself as his Jeep purred to life. Derek had fixed it up for his birthday and it was better than when he had gotten it. He clicked answer on his phone when it started ringing, Scott's name appearing on the screen. Pressing speaker he set his phone in his lap and buckled his seat belt.

"Your dad already knows Derek, that's why I don't think it's a big deal."

Stiles scoffed, "Barely, I don't think the few times they say hello when one of them comes or goes counts." He sighed, throwing his Jeep in drive beginning to head toward home. "And let's not forget that my dad arrested him."

Scott laughed, "That was your fault."

"Don't remind me." He sighed, "It's just the first time we're all going to actually sit down and have dinner and I don't think I'm ready for that."

"You're gonna have to let it happen sometime, dude."

"Yeah, yeah." Stiles sighed, stopping at a red light. "Or! I could ignore it until my dad stops asking!"

"Stiles..." Scott started.

"Love you, Scotty! Bye!" He said, ending the call and dropping his phone in the passenger seat.

--

"Derek." The sheriff smiled when he opened the door. "Stiles isn't home from school yet."

"I know, sir." Derek swayed back and forth nervously. "I came to see you."

"You know better than to call me sir." He said moving to let the other in.

"Sorry, John." Derek toed his boots off leaving them by the door and followed the other toward the kitchen. "I just know you wanted to have dinner and Stiles keeps putting it off, so I figured I could just stop in. Talk with you." He paused for a moment. "If this is a bad time I can always come back?" He ended with a question.

"Nonsense, son. I was just waiting on the game to start." He pulled out a beer bottle offering it to Derek before grabbing one for himself.

"Is this a test? Am I not supposed to drink this?" He asked, half joking.

John laughed, "You're twenty-one. And you need to calm your nerves. I'm not going to kill you, I can tell you really care about Stiles."

"I really do." He nodded, twisted off the top and took a drink. "What game are you watching?"

"The Mets." John sat in his recliner, Derek sitting nearby on the couch. "You played baseball too, right?"

"When I wasn't playing basketball, yeah. Got a full ride to UCLA because of it."

"But, you didn't go?"

The younger sighed, "After the fire...Laura and I needed time. And then she died too..."

"I get it." John took another swig of his beer, setting it on the coffee table before he got up. "Follow me."

Derek set his bottle down following the sheriff toward his office, He watched as the other searched through one of the bookshelves. He turned to look at another seeing a framed picture of Stiles when he was younger in a little league baseball uniform. "Stiles played?"

John laughed, "If you could call it that." He said pulling out a book. "He wasn't very good, shockingly he's much better at lacrosse."

Derek nodded, picking up a signed baseball. "My dad got me a signed ball just before the fire."

John could see the look on Derek's face as he set it back down. "Keep it."

"What? No? I couldn't take it from you."

"Son, it's just collecting dust. Take it." He picked it up placing it back in the younger's hand.

Derek sighed, "Thank you, John."

The other just nodded as he flipped through the book he was holding, a smile forming when he found what he'd been looking for. He pulled a photo out, handing it to Derek.

"Your mother gave that to Claudia. She kept every photo she had gotten. Most of the albums she had are in storage somewhere but..."

Derek just stared silently at the photo. It was his parent's, his sisters, and him. He had his arms wrapped around his mom's shoulders and his dad was tickling Cora when the picture was taken.

"That was the day Laura got accepted into NYU. We were going to her favorite restaurant for dinner to celebrate. My dad set up a camera and took like three years to figure out how to set the damn timer." He laughed sadly.

"They're proud of you." Derek looked up at John, the elder speaking before he could reply. "I know they are because I am."

Derek dropped his head with a smile, "Thank you."

John just pulled him into a hug, "You're a good kid. Don't forget that." They pulled apart. "I'll still kill you if you hurt Stiles though."

Derek chuckled, wiping his cheek, "Understood."

--

Stiles felt his entire body freeze when he pulled into his driveway to see Derek's car in his spot. He parked behind it, sitting there for a moment before finally getting out of the car. When he walked inside he saw his father and Derek in the living room, both of them shouting at the TV as the game played. Stiles smiled, glancing at the screen as he dropped his backpack on the floor by the couch.

"You said you'd record it and watch it when I got home." Stiles said, pretending to be offended.

"We weren't gonna wait for you." John muttered, his eyes still locked to the TV.

Derek's arm wrapped around Stiles when he sat down next to him, he pressed a small kiss to his lips smiling as they pulled away.

"You're bonding with my dad?" He laughed softly.

Derek just nodded, setting his gaze back on the TV, Stiles getting more comfortable in Derek's arms. Stiles was just happy that he didn't have to sit through an awkward dinner now.

Sorry I haven't updated in forever. The holidays got in my way and I've been super busy. I'm also extremely sick and I want to die. lol Happy New Year and all that stuff.

Sam