Digital Murderer 04 Funeral Home

A silver-white sports car stops just outside of City S's mortuary. Although the street is pretty deserted, this distinctive car still attracted the attention of many passers-by.
When Bai Yutang in his silver trench coat and sunglasses steps out of the car, most of the people might have thought he is a celebrity, a model... definitely not a police officer.
Zhan Zhao got out of the car as well, looking bashful, 'Why has no one lodged a complaint against you yet?'
'Complain about what?' Bai Yutang removes his sunglasses and steps indoor.
'You are driving a 0.4mil dollar sports car in and out of the police bureau. I don't believe no one has ever complained about you.'
'My older brother gave me this car, his money is all legal!' Bai Yutang shrugs, 'I like this car! It can reach up to sonic speed. It's super good for catching thieves!'
'A police who catches thieves in a sports car. It shows that you are unsure of your position in society!'
'Alright cat, you have been trying to prove I am not normal since you were born.' Bai Yutang says carelessly, assessing the mortuary hall, 'However, all your great psychology theories don't work on me.'
'Ha!' Zhan Zhao sticks his hand into his pocket, 'even if you refuse to admit, I have already proven that you have paranoid, borderline, histrionic, narcissistic and schizotypal personality disorders in the past 20 years!'
'If all of your whatever personality disorders are an accurate assessment, then...' Bai Yutang points at the morgue, 'I would be the one numbering the bodies, rather than the one investigating it.'
'For a detective, you are quite a special one.' A man answers, stepping out of the morgue.
Zhan Zhou and Bai Yutang turn around to look at the man who just spoke. He is a slim man of about thirty in age. The dim lights of the mortuary make his pale skin look even grimmer.
'I am Chen Jing, the two of you are the polices?' He holds out his hand.
'Ah...Hi.' Bai Yutang reaches out to shake his hand while fetching his ID from his pocket. "Bai Yutang. This is Zhan Zhao.'
'Gongsun already told me why you are coming,' after shaking hands with Zhan Zhao, Chen Jing leads them into the morgue, 'I want to show you something first.'
Zhan Zhao and Bai Yutang exchange a look and follow Chen Jing into the morgue.
There are several bodies wrapped in white in the morgue. Only one of it is partially unwrapped, it's obvious that Chen Jing has been working on that body.
"This one just arrived this morning, look here.' Chen Jing turns the head aside to reveal the number 39 behind the ear.
'Ah! Another one.' Bai Yutang gives Zhan Zhao a look.
Zhan Zhao leans in to examine the number, 'It doesn't look like it's done by hand.'
'Hm?' Bai Yutang leans in as well after hearing Zhan Zhao. The blue number is unusually neat in a standard serif font.
'Not a tattoo?' Bai Yutang rubs his chin and looks at Zhan Zhao in confusion, 'Then what is it?'
'Hm...We will only know the details after chemical analysis. It looks more like a stamp than a tattoo.' Zhan Zhao is still examining the body carefully, 'the person who did the numbers is very- a perfectionist.'
'Perfectionist?' Bai Yutang takes another look at the number, 'I can't tell any beauty from marking numbers behind a dead man's ear.'
'Perfection! Not beauty!' Zhan Zhao emphasizes, 'Ever since I saw the photos, I noticed that almost all the numbers were at the same precise spot.' He puts on his gloves and turns the ear over to point it out at Bai Yutang, 'The numbers are exactly opposite the Cavum Conchae. Do you know what that means?'
'The man is psycho?' Bai Yutang answers without thinking. Zhan Zhao rolls his eyes at him, holding out his hand in defeat, 'Yes that is without a doubt.'
'This position!' Zhan Zhao continues, 'is the 'only' position.'
Bai Yutang digs at his ears, 'English, please.'
He receives another eye-roll, 'If we don't turn the ears over, we would never notice the numbers at this position!' Zhan Zhao lets go of the ear and allows it to return to its usual state to show Bai Yutang. The number is indeed perfectly covered by the shape of the ear and can't be seen from any angle.
'So? What does it mean? Expert.' Bai Yutang still looks confused.
Zhan Zhao removes his gloves, 'It means whoever did the numbering has a strong medical foundation and works in a line of work that requires an attention to detail. In life, the person is also a reserved and cautious person.'
"Speak Chinese!" Bai Yutang could not help but interrupts.
'He is a psycho.' Zhan Zhao summarises.
...