2.

Vaishnavi's POV

I was sitting at the breakfast table after our usual morning walk.

Today also I had the same dream.

I was lost in my thoughts when I heard my mother call.

"Vaishu!"

I hummed and looked at her. She held my hand and caressed it softly.

"Beta mai jaanti hu jo bhi hua usse bhul paana bhut mushkil hai. Lekin ye zindagi hai. Hum aise ruk toh nhi skte na."

(I know its difficult to forget what happened. But this is life. We can't stop like this.)

"I know mumma. Mai koshish kr rhi hu."

(I am trying.)

"Meri ek baat manegi?"

(Will you listen one thing?)

I nod and she drops the bomb.

"Ek rishta aaya hai. Ladka bhut achha hai. Well settled hai, achha kama leta hai. Bas family mai uske saath sirf uski maa hai. Pita ki death ko ek saal ho chuka hai. Baaki sab bhut achha hai."

(There is an alliance. The boy is very nice. Well settled and earns well. He lives with his mother. Father is no more. Rest everything is fine.)

I look at her wide eyed.

"Mumma! Mai? Shaadi? I-i can't-"

(Me? Marriage?)

I look at papa and he blinks his eyes in assurance.

He cups my face and says.

"Koi force nhi hai. Lekin ek baar milne mai koi burai bhi nhi hai. Final decision tera hi hoga. Hum reason bhi nhi puchhenge. Okay?"

(No force. There's no harm in meeting once. Final decision will be yours. We won't ask the reason.)

I nodded and he kissed my head.

I went to my room and slumped on the bed.

All those memories came back to me like a horror movie.

Two years back, me and my best friend, Shreya had just started our first job and we were very excited.

We went to a cafe to celebrate.

We had a lot of fun eating, enjoying and clicking pictures around. I met Shreya in college. She was my classmate and soon we became fast friends. I shared everything with her and vice versa.

We were walking along the street gossiping and giggling looking for a rickshaw.

We didn't realise that we entered an empty street and that a van was following us.

Suddenly the van overtook and stopped in front of us. We were shocked.

Two masked men came out and pointed guns at us.

We were holding each other's hands tightly. We tried to run from there but they clamped their hanker chiefs over our mouths and in a few moments I felt my head spin and everything went dark.

The next thing I remember is waking up in a big, locked area. It seemed like a container.

There were many girls there. I searched for Shreya and saw her lying unconscious a little away from me.

I crawled to her and shook her awake.

She held her head and looked at me.

We looked at each other wide eyed.