1.

Anahita's POV

"Amma mai jaa rhi hu!"

(I am leaving.)

I shout from the hall while running out of the house.

"Maa aaj shayad late ho jaaye. Dinner ke liye wait mat krna. Aur dhyan rakhna apna."

(I will be late today. Don't wait up for dinner. And take care.)

I said to mumma kissing her cheek and she smiled and nodded.

"Khaana time pr khaa lena."

(Eat on time.)

She calls from behind and I reply a quick 'ok' and run outside the house.

I take a rickshaw to the main road and from there I take the bus.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Anahita Chauhan. I live in Bikaner in Rajasthan. It was a small town in Rajasthan. Most of the people are here are still orthodox about not letting their daughters work and study. Thankfully, my family supports me in this.

They never stopped me from studying. In fact, they were the ones who wanted me to go for higher education.

I did my MBBS from one of Delhi's famous colleges. And now I am a junior cardiologist.

I reach the hospital where I work. I greet my mentor and he assigns me my tasks for the day.

I was in the canteen in the break time when I heard one of my fellow colleagues call me.

"Dr. Anahita!"

I turn back to see Dr. Harsh standing there with a smile. I smile back at him and he comes towards me.

"Hello!"

He said and I greeted him back.

"Umm-agar aap bura na maane toh kya mai kuch keh skta hu?"

(If you don't mind can I ask something?)

He asked nervously and I nodded frowning.

"Umm-wo-aap-mere saath-I mean-after our shift gets over, would you like to have coffee with me?"

He asked smiling sheepishly at the end and I looked at him shocked.

I don't know when I gave him the impression that I was interested in him, which I am not, but I have to clear it out.

I clear my throat and say.

"I am sorry Dr. Harsh lekin I cannot come. Aap jo soch rhe hai wo possible nhi hai."

(What you are thinking is not possible.)

His smile faltered a little but he said composing himself.

"Why?"

I take a deep breath and say.

"Because I am already engaged to someone."

"What?"

He asks shocked. I nod and show him the ring on my finger.

"But kab?"

(But when?)

"Ye toh mujhe bhi yaad nhi."

(Even I don't remember it.)

I mumble under my breath. 

"I am sorry what?"

"Umm-nothing. Some time back. Private ceremony thi."

(It was a private ceremony.)

I answered his question and he continued to look at me making me look away. This is so awkward.