🌸Love🌸

[angst, bittersweet, modern AU]

Sakura tapped her pencil against her desk, sighing to herself. As a writer for the New York Times, Sakura has received several strange requests, but this one was the strangest.

What is love?

It's not something that she had ever thought about, nor something she'd think anyone would want to read about, but it was different, and would surely surprise her boss, hopefully he'd give her a promotion for her creativity? Sakura had to laugh at her own thoughts, she really did think too big.

Looking back at the blank screen in front of her, Sakura began to ponder on the topic again.

What is love?

At the word 'love', a dark haired male popped up in her mind, bringing a smile onto her face. However, his red haired partner, also known as her best friend, popped up next to him, and Sakura felt a pang in her chest.

Love is pain.

Sakura remembered the day she found out that they began dating as if it were yesterday, because it was the most heart wrenching day of her life. Having to support her best friend and the love of her life as if she never loved him at all, and watch them fall deeper in love everyday as she fell deeper into sadness.

With those memories also came happy memories, like the day Sasuke had surprised her with a huge teddy bear for her birthday.

Love is joy.

Sakura had never felt so happy in her life, she wasn't sure if it was the fact that she had finally got the giant teddy bear she'd been dying for her whole high school life, or if it was because the man she loves gave it to her, all she knew is that she couldn't wipe the smile off her face for the rest of the day.

Love is overwhelming.

The day Sasuke and Karin announced their engagement, Sakura wasn't sure if she was sad, happy, shocked or all of the above, she was overwhelmed. It was the same when Sasuke and Karin had shared their first kiss in front of all their friends, and when Karin had told Sakura and the rest of the girls some special details about her Friday night with the Uchiha. She didn't know how to feel, so she simply put a smile on her face and pretended to be okay.

Love is acceptance.

The second Sakura saw how Sasuke's lit up when he saw Karin walking down the aisle, she knew. This is what made him happy, and if that was the case then she'd accept it. She'd accept that he was in love with another girl, and that she'd never be that girl. She'd accept the pain and regret she had for not confessing when she had the chance, and at that moment, she felt like a 10 pound weight had been lifted off her shoulders. She could finally breathe again.

That is love.

Sakura took in a breath as she read over the article she had just written, and smiled to herself. They were happy, and although she still loves him, so was she.

___
By konohaguild