🌸The Smoker🌸

[modern AU, bittersweet]

There's this girl in my math class. She sits right behind me. She's a strange girl, always the first person to arrive to class, but never staying for more than five minutes. She's a smoker. I don't like her.

"What's this?" I ask her when I find an envelope on my desk.

She's on her phone and not once does she look up at me when answering. "How the hell am I supposed to know?"

"Well, maybe if you looked up at you would see it."

She smiles. She fucking smiles. "That's an envelope. I thought you were supposed to be smart."

I want to bash her face into the desk. I want to shove her stupid-ass phone up her nose. But I don't. Instead, I sit down in my chair and wait for the teacher to start teaching.

The teacher doesn't say a word as the girl who sits behind me stands up and leaves.

I hope her car breaks down.

When class ends I throw the envelope into the trash and head home.

I don't think about it. I don't think about the envelope and how my name was written on it in black loopy letters. I don't think about what could be in it or what was said in it.

I don't.

The envelope is back on my desk. I sigh. Why me?

"Did you see who put this here?"

The girl behind me doesn't look up. She doesn't acknowledge me. She just continues to type away on her phone.

"Don't know. Don't care," she says.

I look at her while imagining a curled up hand with the middle finger sticking out. I want to give her one in reality. But I don't. Just like how I don't punch her in her stupid face. I unlike some people am decent.

Once again I turn around and sit down. Once again the girl behind me leaves two minutes after the teacher starts to teach. Once again I am left alone with my thoughts.

I decide to open the envelope. I shouldn't have. Inside of it is a slip of paper.

"I miss you," it reads.

It happens again. The envelope is back on my desk again.

"Did you see who put this here?"

The girl behind me frowns while lookin at her phone. "No," she says.

I'm tired of her. She doesn't help. I sigh and sit down.

Today is different.

Today the girl behind me leaves a minute into my teacher's lecture. But this time she doesn't head straight for the door. This time she stops and pokes her pencil against my cheek.

"You're asking the wrong questions, Sakura," she says before heading out the door.

I open the envelope and pull out the piece of paper the resides in it.

"I want to see you again," it reads.

When I leave class I see the girl who sits behind. I almost didn't notice her sitting underneath a tree. The tree is big and thick, it hides her well. I walk toward her.

"What do you mean?" I ask her. Her eyes are closed and she's smoking a cigarette.

"Exactly what I said." She takes a long drag of the cigarette.

I don't get her. What the hell does she mean. And then it clicks.

"Do you know who gave me this?" I take out the crumpled up envelope from my pocket.