🌸My New Year With You🌸

[funny, fluff]

"For my New Year's resolution, I want to ask Sakura out on a date!"

"Yeah, uh..." Sakura rolled her eyes, "I can assure you, that's not going to happen..."

"Aw, come on, Sakura." Kakashi grinned, "you don't know that. Besides, you know whenever Naruto makes promises himself something like that, he never goes back on his word..."

Naruto stood up and slapped his chest, "cuz that's my ninja way, you know?"

"Sit down, idiot." Sasuke shut his eyes, "that doesn't always happen."

"Yeah, yeah." Naruto stuck his tongue out at him, "so what's your New Year's resolution, Sasuke?"

"That's none of your business."

Sakura leaned forward to look at him, "aw, come on, Sasuke. Share it with us."

He glanced at her coldly then looked away.

"Can we assume clan restoration?" Naruto chuckled.

"You kids are still Genin." Kakashi groaned, "there's no point in thinking about that just yet. At least not until you're older. 18 at the least. People marry young that age."

"If Sasuke's so determined, I'm sure 18's the age." Naruto nodded in agreement, "whatever. Nothing you have to tell us, Sasuke. We can read you like a book."

Sakura watched the brooding boy for a little while. If anything, what Naruto said is completely false. Rarely anyone could read that cold expression.

Kakashi chuckled sheepishly to break the tension that arose among the young Genin, "alrighty, let's just do this." He pulled out four pieces of paper, "let's make this a tradition from now on. Before the new year begins, we should all write down what we want for this upcoming year. Then we'll bury them here in the training fields and come back thirty years later and reminisce. See if the year's been fulfilled."

"Yeah!" Naruto grabbed a paper, "I like that!"

"Sure." Sakura took one, "right, Sasuke?"

"Hn. Maybe."

The four wrote down their New Year's resolutions and folded them up.

"Don't read it, Kakashi-Sensei!" Naruto shouted as they handed the Jonin their papers, "secret!"

"Yes, yes, I understand."

Sakura watched as Sasuke hesitantly handed Kakashi his note, then shifted on the blanket that the four of them sat on and they watched as the fireworks went off in the sky.

Maybe... Just maybe... Sakura smiled.

____________________

- 3 Years Later -

"You still do that?"

"Of course!" Naruto glanced over his shoulder at Sakura, "you should do it, too!"

"Well..." Sakura crossed her arms, "there's no point. Mine didn't actually happen. In fact... The opposite happened."

Sai took the piece of paper from Naruto, "what is this? Hm? 'I want to ask Sakura out on--'"

"Hey!" Naruto snatched the paper back, "don't read it out loud!"

"What is this?"

"Well, Sai, if you must know..." Sakura scratched her neck, "it's this thing we started back when we were Genin. We write down our New Year's resolutions on these pieces of paper and we bury them at the training grounds. Only I stopped doing it a couple of years ago."