🌸Train Rides (Rides Part 1)🌸

[high school AU, fluff]

I was waiting for the train which would drop me to the shopping district. When it arrived, I entered it and I stood while holding a strap to maintain my balance. My black headphones played Pino to Ameri by Ishizaki Huwie and I was checking my phone for Instagram updates. 

Naruto had uploaded a photo with Hinata, a girl who stood somewhere between the lines of a friend and a girlfriend. Probably on a date which they will deny anyway. But they should get married already. That is what the rest of us have agreed on.

Then the door to the next stop opened and a few people entered. I only noticed that because of the train had stopped and their shadows were visible to me who had been looking downwards. My stop was the sixth stop from my own home. I looked around for a while to check how many people were on the train. 

I saw you, right next to me. You were looking at your phone and you had your red headphones on your ears. I kept glancing at you every minute. But you didn't look at me. You put your phone in your pocket and I thought you would look at me. But you didn't. You got off at the station right before mine. From the window, I saw you walk away and the only thing I knew about you was your pastel pink hair.

The next day, I had to go to buy medicines for my mother who had suddenly caught a cold. My father had volunteered to cook, but I know that he couldn't. What could a man, who has only been to the kitchen to discreetly romance my mother, cook? I kicked that thought and listened to music and saw you enter at the next stop with your headphones on your ear. You weren't looking at your phone and neither was I. Our gazes collided and my eyes widened.

Emerald. Spring.

You broke our only connection and looked away. Next thing I know, you exited at my stop. I could feel a sense of excitement. What if I meet you somewhere here? You disappeared into the crowd. My excitement decreased because I couldn't see you anymore. My excitement lived because you didn't get off at the previous stop.

The weekend had ended and the next morning, I had school. I entered the train with my notebook and saw you in your school uniform, reading a book. I stared at you before remembering my notebook. I was supposed to have a test and I didn't study anything the previous day. 

I saw you in the mornings and evenings every weekday. I rarely saw you during the weekends and I didn't mind that because I was satisfied with weekdays. My attendance in school was perfect thanks to you. 

But one day, I was sick. I missed three days of school. Everyday my friends from school would visit and one of those visits included two dishes they had made during Culinary classes. Naruto's ramen was fantastic, not that I would ever admit it to him. The other dish was a chocolate cake made by the girls. The next day when I came, you openly stared at me with a hint of sadness. I smiled at you and you were surprised. You smiled at me before looking away. 

A year passed by and when I saw you in my school uniform, I realized that you were in your last year of middle school the year we met and now you were in my school. I was even more excited. I heard that many girls in the freshman year were beautiful, especially the representative.

Our student council president, Temari invited you to the student council. You accepted that and I was even more happy because I was also a member due to my status as the representative of my year. Our gazes collided for the second time ever and your eyes widened for a split second. I knew it. You recognized me. 

"Aren't you the boy from the train?" You asked me when we had a moment of privacy while going towards our classes.

"Yeah." I whispered. You didn't say anything. In fact, you never spoke to me unless it was something related to the council.