🌸Home🌸

[angst, fluff]

Hey, so uh, this is my first time posting on here- I hope you guys like it :)

"Sarada, don't get married," Sakura says with bitterness in her voice as she stomps through the kitchen, exiting the house and slamming the door behind her.

That left a nice chakra-infused indent in the wood.

The youngest Uchiha continues to eat her breakfast, not really caring about what just happened- at least, not until her father entered the room.

The harsh scraping of solid oak against laminate flooring alerts her of his presence. He sits down and sighs.

"What have you done now?" Sarada asks, with almost the same bitterness in her tone as her mother.

The other Uchiha hesitates. Does this matter really concern his daughter? But then again, his wife did just storm out, so-

"I suggested going travelling again."

Sasuke winced when he ended that sentence, full well knowing that if his daughter reacted anything like how how wife did, which she of course will (after all, Sarada did inherit both her temper and her inhumane strength), he was going to be in a lot of trouble.

There was the terrible clink of a metal spoon being dropped into a ceramic bowl.

Three.

Two.

One.

Sarada scoffed, "I'm sorry, what?"

Sasuke did not choose to say anything.

"You can't possibly think of leaving, again, after you spent so much time away in the past. If it wasn't bad enough that you weren't there to see me grow up, you weren't with mom when she needed you the most. Don't you dare think of leaving again- I will barricade that door myself if I have to. And I'll tell Lord Seventh what you're planning on doing too-"

"Hold up one second," Sasuke interrupts, "What did you say?"

"I said I'd barricade the door and tell Lord Seventh...?" The girl replies, confused.

"No, no, the bit about Sakura"

"You weren't there for her and I had to comfort her," Sarada spits out, evidently still angry about this occurrence in the first place.

"What do you mean?" Sasuke asks, genuinely curious about what on earth happened for his daughter to be rambling about it.

"I guess no one ever told you, huh?"

The man quickly nods.

Sarada sighs.

"Fine," she grimaces, "Mom cried over you. A lot. Every night, in fact. It'd get worse on some days, like on Father's Day, or on yours or her birthday and wedding anniversaries, and even sometimes she'd cry from just looking at my face. Auntie Ino used to tell me it's because I remind her of someone very important that she misses. But as the years went by, it got worse. She passed out on a few occasions. Shizune and Tsunade took it in turns to see who would stay with me for the night whilst mom was in hospital,"

Sarada pauses for a moment. She's begun to cry.

"I taught myself how to cook so she'd have a hot meal waiting for her when she got home, not some unhealthy microwaveable meal she'd heat up because she was too exhausted to cook!"

"Hey, hey-" Sasuke intervenes, trying to calm his daughter.

"I'd stay up late every night just so she had someone to talk to, and even if I was really tired I kept myself awake so she could just speak! And then- and then- and then!-"

Hot salty tears drip down into her cereal. She removes her glasses, looks down at the table, and sobs.

"Sarada, hey," the older Uchiha says whilst getting up to hug his child, "I'm not going to leave again. It was just a suggestion. And... thank you for everything you did for your mother. It makes me feel really guilty, not knowing what you did for her, but I appreciate everything you've done, and so does she."

Sarada nods, still sniffing but notably much calmer than she was.

...

"Sasukeeeee," Sakura whines, "You're lying on my hair"

Sasuke readjusts himself and rolls over, wrapping his arm around Sakura's waist, making her giggle.

He rests his head in the crook of her neck.

"I'm sorry about earlier," he speaks.

Sakura, of course, was at Ino's. When Sasuke got there, Ino was on the floor stuffing chocolates into her best friends' mouth in an attempt to make her feel better.

"Don't be, I was just overreacting." she replies softly, but probably still somewhat upset about the entire ordeal.

"No. You had every right to react the way you did. I even deserved the punch in the face from Sai," he stops, allowing Sakura to laugh before continuing, "I hated leaving you both. I always wanted to be back, but now I'm back, I don't know what to do. This is the first time I've properly been here since I left when I was 13, and I just feel a bit...lost. I loved travelling with you, and then we had our gorgeous baby girl and although I wouldn't change anything for the world, part of me wishes that we were still out there seeing the world together."

Sakura turns around to face him.

"I sometimes wish that too," she smiles at the happy nostalgic memories of their journey , "But I guess times have changed. That was over thirteen years ago, and besides, we have a daughter to raise now."

"I know. And Sarada told me everything," he pulls Sakura closer to his body, "I'm so sorry. It rarely crossed my mind. Every time it did, I just remembered how strong and wonderful you are. Why didn't you tell me?"

"I guess I never felt the need to tell you. I'd have felt guilty. You might not have looked it, but I could always tell how happy you were when you were here. It didn't feel right to tell you. And you are forgiven," she whispers, snuggling even closer up to Sasuke and being helped captive in his warm embrace.

They stay there together for a moment.

Sasuke removes one of his arms from Sakura's waist and pulls away a little. He lifts it up.

"What are you-"

She is silenced. He taps her forehead, before kissing her.

"Good night, Sakura."

~~~

🌸🌸🌸
By Roaringtides