🌸Legends Part 7🌸

[Naruto AU, comfort, angst]

The kitchen was quiet the next morning. Karin leaned against the counter as Sarada slowly rotated a spoon in her empty bowl.

"Did you get enough to eat?"

"Yes."

Silence.

Sarada finally muttered to herself, loud enough for Karin to hear, "why did this have to happen?"

Karin pursed her lips and leaned her head back, "things happen, Kiddo. And in living the life of a ninja, you have to make some sacrifices. Sakura did what she had to, there was no avoiding it."

"I wish it didn't have to be her, though..." Sarada gritted her teeth, "my Mama didn't have to be a legendary Kunoichi if it meant she could stay alive and stay with me and Papa forever..."

Karin chuckled.

"What's so funny?"

"I'm trying..." Karin started, "to imagine what your parents would be like if they weren't the ninja they are today. Your Mama came from an ordinary clan, the Haruno clan. They had no specialty or ability. Your Papa had been through a lot, being part of the Uchiha clan and all. If he had continued on his path he was on, he may be dead today."

Sarada's body temperature dropped at that image.

"If they were like that now..." Karin tapped her chin, "I don't think I would've been here, either. Without Sakura, Sasuke would've killed me and I wouldn't be here today."

"Papa... He tried to kill you?!"

"Well, he tried to kill everyone. Me, Kakashi-Sensei, Lord Seventh, and even your Mama..." Karin sighed, "he was on a road to darkness. If anything, he was already trapped in it. He was brought back by Naruto and Sakura, and because of them, he learned what it meant to be happy. Sakura was more to me than just a friend. She's like a sister to me, and being entrusted with her own daughter was more than an honor to me. I felt horrible in doing it, but I did as her dying wish." She walked over to sit next to Sarada at the table, "you should be thankful that your Mama did what she did and became who she is today, because if not, you may not even be here today."

Sarada gazed into the empty bowl, "what will happen to Papa when Mama..."

Karin pursed her lips and adjusted her glasses, "I... Don't want to think about it..."

They sat in excruciating silence before Sarada stood up, "I need to go to them."

"What?"

"Mom..." Sarada grabbed Karin's wrist, "we need to go back to Mama and Papa. I have something I want to ask her."

"Then..." Karin stood up, "you should probably go." she turned at the knock on the front door and quickly opened it, "Hm? Oh, it's you."

"Karin." Naruto quickly stepped into the house, looking around frantically, "where's Sarada? Is she here?"

Sarada ran to Karin's side, "I'm here."

Naruto grabbed her wrist, "you need to come with me right now. You too, Karin. Kakashi-Sensei's meeting us there, but I came to pick you guys up."

Karin's voice trembled, "what's going on? Is everything okay?"

The Hokage didn't answer. He only turned on his heel and started off, "let's go. Now."

_________________________

The moment I walked into that dimly-lit room, it was as if the atmosphere had completely changed since the last time I came to visit. Mama always had a semblance of cheerfulness on the outside even though, on the inside, she was in excruciating pain, according to Mom. You can pierce a sword through my chest, you can beat me with a club, you can even drop me in a vat of acid, but nothing hurt more than the scene that unfolded in front of me.There she was, lying, weak and fragile, Sakura Uchiha during her last few moments on her deathbed. Next to her, squeezing her hand to his lips, was Papa, tears stained his face.