🌸To Be a Uchiha🌸

[Naruto AU, fluff]

To be a Uchiha, you don't have to have power. You don't have to be rich. Power. Money. Strength. These don't make an Uchiha a Uchiha. To have the sharingan doesn't make you an Uchiha either.

There is one. Just one, thing, that makes an Uchiha a Uchiha. And that one thing, was not listed above.

•X•

The woman stood just outside of the gates. The gates that separated the place in which she currently stands and her home. She carefully reaches out her hand and barely, just barely, brushes her fingertips along the surface of the gate. The corners of her lips lift up a little bit. She takes a deep breath and places her foot over the imaginary line that separates her from her home.

For a moment she's lost, not in the sense that she doesn't know where she is. But in the sense that her mind has drifted.

She's seeing people. She watches as her uncle places a fresh batch of bread on the table, his wife places a small kiss on his cheeks. She watches as her own mother gardens her flowers. So many people. So many souls.

The woman blinks.

Everyone is gone, leaving her back in the present.

The woman blinks once more and continues her journey. She takes a seat on the front porch of her old house and waits. And as she's waiting her eyes wander, until they land on a small tree.

Her eyes soften, the poor tree looked as if it were in the brink of death. And somehow for some reason she finds the tree reminding her of her youngest child. He was so full of life, always trying to show his father that he was strong. That he was worthy of the Uchiha name. He always shriveled up when he messed up. When he was ignored by everyone.

Maybe that's why the tree looks as if it were about to die. Because it isn't getting any attention. The sound of footsteps bring her out of her thoughts.

"Hello." She looks up at the newcomer.

The newcomer places a strand of pink hair behind her ear and replies back. "Hi."

"What's your name," the woman asks.

"Sakura Uchiha." The newcomer shifts her weight from one foot to the other.

The woman's eyes close and the right corner of her mouth lifts up. "Do you love him."

She opens her eyes after asking her question, just in time to watch the newcomer tilt her head, green eyes stare narrowly at the woman.

"Your husband." The woman elaborates.

"Yes."

The woman's black eyes stare into the newcomer's green ones. And slowly she asks a simple question,"If one of you were to die here and now who would it be."

"Me."

"Why."

"Because I would rather my husband live and achieve his dreams. I'd rather die than have him leave the world before his time. He is my everything." She places a hand on her stomach. "Sasuke deserves to live and nobody can tell me others." Her hand drops to her side.

"You say you want him to achieve his dreams, but what if his dream was you, what would you do then."

"Then I'll fight for my life. I'll make sure I live."

"Last question. And then I promise I'll get out of your hair."

She watches as the newcomer nods her head.

"What's your maiden name?"

The newcomer's eyebrows draw together. "Haruno? Why?"

The woman shakes her head and lets out a quiet laugh. "No reason," she says as she stands up. "It was nice meeting you, Sakura."

The woman watches as Sakura grabs the door knob of her house.

"Oh. And Sakura."

"Yes."

"The sharingan is not what defines an Uchiha. What defines an Uchiha is love. And I can see you have it. No matter what others say, you are an Uchiha." And with that said Mikoto Uchiha left her old home. The home that'll make way for a new family. For her son's family.

•X•

Because no other clan treasured love as much as the Uchiha. Love is what makes them react. It is what makes them do the things they do. To love beyond loving. To hate because of love. Is what makes an Uchiha a Uchiha.

~~~~~~~~~~
Written by perfectlyinsane-