🌸Swimming Freestyle - Part 5🌸

[swimming AU, funny, angst]

"How's he holding up?"

"Not good at all..." Sakura and Naruto watched from in the pool as Sasuke just laid on the bleachers, eyes shut, listening to music.

"Have you tried talking to him?"

"When I try, I just end up crying." Sakura pursed her lips, "I don't know how else to help him without violating his space."

"Well, you read Itachi's letter, right? Why don't you just do something about it?"

"Oh, no, that's not happening." Sakura blushed.

"You're blushing!"

She brought her hand up to her flustered cheeks, "am not!"

"Stop arguing." Naruto laughed, "listen, Sasuke really admired you to the point he had his own celebrity crushes on you. Maybe what he needs is one of those hugs that turns into se--"

"Naruto!" Sakura yelled, "shut up! I'll find my own alternatives."

"Whatever you say. Just trying to find a way to help."

Sakura glared at him, then climbed out of the pool. She grabbed her towel and wiped her face as she walked over to Sasuke.

He drowsily opened his eyes to see her standing over him, "Sakura."

"Are you going to lay here all day?"

"Yes."

You have got to be freaking kidding me... Sakura forced a smile and clenched her fists, "listen, Sasuke. We need your contribution in the relay, or we won't win. Do you understand the seriousness of this?"

He only looked up at her, then shut his eyes, "I wish I could help you, but..."

"If you want to help me, then swim with us!"

He swung his legs over the side of the metal bench, pulled his earbuds out of his ears, then inhaled, "I could swim, but all of my effort and energy wouldn't be there the same way it always was."

"Well, if that's the case, then I'll make it--"

"No need to put so much effort into this." Sasuke cut her off, "Sakura, I want you to do well, but I've just been a burden to you. So I'll go home. I'll take all my stuff and leave."

Sakura was way too shook to say anything. It wasn't until Sasuke was out the doors of the pool and even the building that she snapped out of her daze and ran after him, "Sasuke, you idiot! We made a deal! That you could stay with me until we bring home that gold! So I'm going to go through with that deal and make it happen!"

He stopped.

"Sasuke, I know you wanted to win the gold and the money for Itachi. But..." She pursed her lips to keep from crying, "but what are you going to do now?! You've still got people to swim for! Don't tell me you've forgotten!"

There was still an uncomfortable silence that somehow offended the pinkette.

"Naruto, Sai, and myself! We're all counting on you! If you think you have no one to swim for, think again! You've got those two and me! Here's your opportunity! And..." She blushed, "if you want me to really fall in love with you, do you think walking away is going to get you very far?! Gosh dammit!"

Sasuke turned around, a smirk on his face, "you know, you're standing outside in front of dozens of other buildings and passing vehicles in your swimsuit."

Sakura looked down at herself and instinctively crossed her arms, "I don't give a damn."

Sasuke only laughed, then nodded, "okay. I'll stay. Only..." He held a finger up, "if you'll come over for dinner tonight."