Chapter Three

The moment they entered the room, everyone stood from their seats and began to clap. Smiles graced the peoples' lips as they looked upon the mayor of Colorado and the exceptional businessman, Nicholas Ross.

Welcomed into the large room by two waiters who quickly brought them to their table, where two couples, the Minister of Affairs and his wife, and the Minister of Health and his wife stood, Nicholas felt uncomfortable, while Doccharles basked in the attention.

Nicholas was not one for unnecessary attention, though his career extolled such. He smiled and shook hands when needed. He kept silent and withdrawn when the attention shifted from him to the mayor.

A toast was given by a minister, his eyes giddy with excitement, while everyone enjoyed the expensive wine and dinner. An unlistening ear to the man's words, although he could hear and understand the message he was trying to convey, Nicholas passed a finger on the rim of his glass.
Soon, another person spoke, until the mayor's speech finally came after an hour.

Glancing down at his watch, and although he had given himself two hours to relax, Nicholas wanted to leave. He felt claustrophobic in the large room.

However, it would be bad manners on his part, for the mayor was happily giving his speech. And so, he patiently waited.

The talking went on and on for fifteen minutes, but he was not paying attention, that is until his ears perked up when he heard his name. Every eye turned to him for a millisecond before giving their undivided attention to the mayor. He was not grateful for Doccharles to mention him in his speech.

He was a businessman.

He helped, not for credit, but because he loves to. It was something his parents had always admired about him. Regretfully, this attitude made the world negatively view him as a selfish, withdrawn, and unapproachable person. Was it because he was not a social butterfly like the mayor? Or not bother to attend different social events such as this one?

He did not care about the criticisms and focused on making a difference.

"Although, you all may know him, Mr. Ross is the one who was behind everything construction and financial wise in the new hospital. If it were not for him, the hospital would not have finished this year. This toast and dinner party is actually for him. Thank you and congratulations, Mr. Ross."

Every eye fell back on him once again. They were curious, piercing, and unnerving stares as if they wanted to know all his secrets, but he retained his poker-face, though his lips had a small smile.

He did not bask in people's glory. He did not deserve their praise, for he was not helping others for amusement.

Raising his glass per Doccharles speech, he acknowledged the fame but detested it.

Soon, the room returned to its earlier commotion. Nicholas knew it was his moment to rush out of the room. However, his hope evaporated when Doccharles had tapped his glass once more to make another important announcement.

Every voice died down.

"I am making a statement towards International Women's Day that from tomorrow until further notice, medicals will be free in the hospital. That pertains to every person in Colorado, but mainly the women. Private examinations will be readily available. The hospital as the friendly cooperation between the Ross and Doccharles will enable this. Thank you."

His statement caused a loud uproar of clapping, but Nicholas did not care for a headache was coming on. Excusing himself from the table, he walked toward a waiter and asked for directions to the washroom. Following the skittish waiter's words, he found himself between the male and female washroom. Walking into the male bathroom, he admired the pristine clean countertops, faucets, and toilets.

"Not bad for a five-star restaurant."

Muttering, he walked into a compartment and quickly relieved himself. In doing so, he heard the bathroom door open and the clickity clackity of a woman's heels echoing on the tile floor.

'What is a woman doing in the male washroom?'

Finishing up his urinating, he flushed the toilet, but the female's loud and exasperated groan drowned out the sound. She slammed her purse on the marble counter with another one.

Her groan resembled his mother when she had broken a fingernail or missed a call from her fashion agency.

"Why is this job so hard?! A secretary is not a delivery lassie!"

Her British accent was thick, her words almost unable to understand, but Nicholas surprisingly did. A small smile tugged the edge of his lips. He remained standing in the compartment as the girl continued to rant on and on.

He had silently laughed when she tried imitating her boss's flighty and fake nasal voice. Suddenly, she shrieked when a wide-eyed guy had entered the room.

"What are you doing here?!"

Her voice became shrilly, for she had switched from her British accent into her American.

"I am the one who should be asking you that question, lady."

He had barely heard the man's reply because the girl was freaking out.

"What do you mean?!"

"Because this is the men's bathroom?"

In the form of a question, the man replied, and the girl quickly monitored her environment. Upon witnessing the standing toilets, she blushed crimson red. In a small voice, she squeaked with her heavy British accent.

"I'm sorry."

Hurriedly packing away her makeup, she rushed out of the room like her tail was on fire. Nicholas heard the man mutter something under his breath before washing his hands and leaving the toilet.

A smile etched on his lips, he walked out of the washroom stall and towards the sink. Washing his hands, he glanced up into the mirror. He shook his head for the shape of a love heart drawn with red lipstick was on its surface.

Drying his hands, he left the washroom and returned to his table. Glancing down at his watch, he realized his time here was up. Whispering his goodbyes in Doccharles ears while ignoring Sherlene's smoldering stare, he left the room. Dialing his private driver's number, he left the restaurant to attend the meeting with his client.