Chapter Seventy-Eight

"Yes, I did. Every day, actually."

"Wonderful. Did you tell her about the family dinner?"

Nick frowned.

"No, I have not."

"You silly boy, how could you forget?"

"It slipped my mind. Maybe because I was tired yesterday."

Hearing her loud sigh, Nick leaned his head on the table.

"Then it is a good thing I made provision to get your father and brother here. I am sure deep down, Sharlene is anxiously waiting for your return, and you are there drowning yourself in paper works and whatnot, while the month of dating you promised her mother is decreasing every day."

"Mom."

Nick whined, but she huffed.

"But it is true. Why could you not order your secretary; what was his name again?"

"Hector Thomas."

Nick answered.

"Yes, that young man. Why could you not tell him to go to Italy?"

"I could not because I had already assigned him to another project."

"What about your other secretaries? Riana told me you have so many that she lost count."

Smirking at that fact, he lifted his head from the hard surface.

"I assigned them to other projects."

He heard her tsk before she continued.

"It seems you left your brain back home. If you promised you would court someone, you do it without any distractions and properly."

"Mom, I thought you were on my side."

"Of course, I am on your side. That is why you will be on my doorstep tomorrow morning. Make sure you buy a present and flowers for your awaiting bride."

"You are not asking, are you?"

"No, I am not. See you tomorrow morning," he heard her emphasize before saying, "love you."

Before he could respond, she ended the call.

Too tired to care, Nick pulled his phone from his ears and placed it on the desk. He also removed his feet from on top of the desk when a cramp was climbing them. Passing his hands through his untidy hair, he pressed the intercom on the telephone.

"How may I help you, sir?"

Cordelia's friendly voice echoed through the speaker.

"I want you to call my pilot and schedule an early flight in the next two hours."

A brief silence, for his words, had probably caught her off guard, but Cordelia neither questioned his decision nor spoke against it.

"Of course, sir. Is there anything else you would like me to do?"

"Yes. My father and brother will be arriving as soon as I leave. In my stead, they will oversee the discussion with Mr. Presely. Make them feel welcome. Also, alert the board members of their arrival and brief them about the present and future projects as well."

"I will, sir."

"Good."

Ending the brief conversation with a satisfied grin, Nick leaned into his chair with a heavy sigh. Closing his eyes, he resumed his earlier nap but five minutes into his napping, a loud commotion occurring behind his office doors, a similar situation to the one that had occurred a week ago, woke him up.