Chapter Thirty-Three

Inside the house, because the sun was far too hot to venture outside, Clarice was lounging together with preoccupied AJ.

"You would think today has a heatwave with this relentless heat. Aren't we drawing nearer to Autumn? Why is there this unbearable heat?"

Murmuring, Clarice began to fan herself with the magazine she was reading.

"Maybe you're going through menopause because I feel just fine."

In a matter-of-fact tone of voice, AJ murmured, his hands flying across the keys of his phone as he made a significant comment towards a youtube video showcasing the excellent features of a newly released game. He was lounging on the three-piece sofa with his head almost touching the ground. His posture looked uncomfortable, but he was not since he was flexible and agile.

"Ha, ha, ha, very funny, AJ."

Scoffing with a roll of her eyes, Clarice sat up and walked towards the television unit, where the ceiling fan switch was. Turning the knob towards the strongest, she heavily sighed when the cool air cascaded upon her person and around the room.

"That's much better."

Watching her enjoying the artificial air blowing onto her skin, AJ scoffed with a smile on his face and a shake of his head.

Walking back to her chair, she placed the magazine on her lap and opened it once more while smiling at the scene of unbothered Lily playing with her toys in the middle of the room.

"Do you want me to make some lemonade, Claire?"

Offering, as she had walked into the living room after cleaning the bedrooms, Helena was empathetic. She had overheard their conversation earlier and felt the heat as well.

"Sure, mom."

AJ suddenly perked up, the mention of juice sounding satisfying.

He quickly spoke up, for it was his addiction.

"I want some as well, mom."

It gained him a glare from Helena, but she did not bother to refuse him. Walking out of the room, she disappeared into the kitchen.

"You sure love servants, don't you?"

Clicking her tongue, Clarice playfully kicked smiling AJ's legs with hers since she too had taken all the space of the two-seat sofa after swinging her legs on top of it.

Shrugging, he returned his eyes to the phone screen.

"What can I say? I was born a prince."

Chuckling, Clarice shook her head.

"Indeed, you are a prince."

Walking back into the room with a tall jug made of glass with lemonade and three cups on a tray, Helena inputted with a mocking smile.

"A prince who is going to do the dishes."

Groaning, for that was his worse enemy, AJ obediently stood, for he had no other choice since he was the last one to eat breakfast.

Handing him his cup of lemonade, Helena was satisfied with his instant obedience as he walked out of the living room towards the kitchen. Watching him disappearing beyond the wall, she murmured with a small smile.

"He is like his father sometimes."

Taking the outstretched filled cup from her mother's hand, Clarice nodded in agreement.

"In a lot of sense, mom. A splitting image."

Chuckling, Helena poured herself a glass, then placed the tray and jug on the end table. Glancing at the slushing liquid in the cup, she smiled.