Chapter Fifty-Three

The moment Nick's coughing had subsided, the handsome man barged into the office as if he owned it.

With a smirk on his face, he teased.

"Well, hello, my friend. Don't you look like a red tomato today?"

He glanced at the glass of water in his hands, and his smirk broadened.

"Did the water go down the wrong hole?"

Agitated, Cordelia was finally able to catch up, her face grimacing from the strap of her shoes digging into her flesh. That increased her irritation, for she had not worn it today to run around the place like a headless chicken. Quickly, she side-stepped the handsome man with nervous dancing eyes and a broad frown.

"I tried to stop him, sir, but he insisted."

Nick leaned against the desk after drinking the glass of water. He refused to lift his head because he had not prepared himself for this unexpected visit.

"Why are your workers so daft? It is the same everywhere. No offense, Christa. You are easy on the eyes."

The handsome man drawled as he winked at scoffing Cordelia.

Moving to the other side of the room, he sat on the sofa closer to the window with a contented sigh.

Placing his feet on the coffee table in front of it, he waved his hand in Cordelia's direction while fanning his face with the other.

Speed walking through the hallway to escape the pretty secretary's clutches had brought an insufferable heat on his body.

"Bring me a glass of lemonade, Mary."

"It's Cordelia. C.O.R.D.E.L.I.A!"

Through greeted teeth, Cordelia seethed.

She disliked his mannerism and behavior.

"Whatever. Just bring me my lemonade, shortcakes."

Glaring at the man, she refused to obey, her eyes looking at Nick for confirmation.

"Can you hold on a minute, Sharlene?"

Speaking into the phone, he sent a glare in the frowning man's direction.

Sharlene, who had heard everything on the other line, quickly agreed.

"Okay."

Pulling the phone from his ears, he placed it on the table.

Calmly, he spoke.

"It's alright, Cordelia. You can leave."

Sighing a noticeable breath of relief, Cordelia sent a glare in the man's direction before walking out with a soft click of the doors behind her.

"Hey! What about my drink?!"

The man exclaimed but remained comfortable in his position.

Folding his arms on top of his chest, Nick was annoyed.

"What are you doing here, Chris?"

Shrugging his shoulders as if he had asked him about the weather, Christopher sank deeper into the sofa.

"I was passing by."

Raising an eyebrow, Nick did not look convinced.

"You were passing by when you are eight hours away from your home?"

Waving his hands in the air as if he wanted to discontinue the conversation, Christopher leaned onto his lap.

"Okay. Okay. I got invited to some last-minute party here."