Chapter Four

The streets of Colorado were busy as usual. The buzz of the newly opened hospital spreading like wildfire through the streets.

Every business was open.

Everyone was happy, except Sharlene Cunning-ham, who had woken up fifteen minutes after her alarm. Running out of the bedsheets, she had tangled around her feet like a snake during her restless sleep; she padded down the staircase with her newly bought bunny slippers and rushed into the kitchen.

"What to make? What to make?"

Mumbling as she opened the pantry filled with foodstuff, Sharlene dismissed the tins that would take forever to prepare and rushed to grab an egg from the egg tray in the fridge. She had also taken a small chocolate bar. Unwrapping the sugary goodness, Sharlene shoved it in her mouth. Setting out a plate, she grabbed the cold bread on the fridge and popped two in the toaster. Like her tail was on fire, she quickly lit the stove and placed a small frying pan on top of it. Quickly, she added oil and broke the egg, but her phone rang at the last minute before she could add it to the frying pan.

In the pocket of her pajama pants, it vibrated. Sharlene lowered the fire underneath the frying pan and fished the phone from it.

When she saw the name flashing on the screen, she groaned.

"Why now?"

Sharlene's mornings were always hectic, especially on a Monday, which she dredged like a fish out of water. Waking at 6:00 every morning was a hassle, for her appropriate morning wake up time was 8 o'clock. She always had a hard time being early for work, and the sudden call from her mother was making it hard.

That was her punishment for not calling her frustrated but worried mother hen for five days.

Helena Cunning-ham called her exactly 6:15 every day, the time she would be in the shower.

Dumping the egg into the frying pan, Sharlene answered the call.

"Hey, mom."

"Do not hey me, Sharlene Cunning-ham. You..."
Tunning off the rest of Helena's grumble, Sharlene spun the egg in the frying pan while monitoring the toaster for her bread. She mindlessly hummed to her mother's words while chewing on the piece of chocolate.

That was a tradition. It helped her, especially when she was stressed. Sweets were her lifeline, and she was surprised it had not made her fat.

"Are you eating alright?"

Her mother questioned, her tone flighty with worry.

"Yes, I am. I am preparing to eat breakfast right now."

Muttering, Sharlene hurriedly pulled the jumpy bread from the toaster and dumped it on the empty plate.

"Are you getting enough sleep? Is work hard for you?"

Placing the single egg on the plate on top of the toast, Sharlene murmured.

"Yes, yes, I am. Work is fine."

Bringing the plate towards the single table in the kitchen, she rushed towards the fridge and grabbed the orange juice. Placing the phone in the crook of her neck, Sharlene took a glass from the upper cupboard near the refrigerator.

Walking towards the table, she sat heavily on the chair.

Pouring the juice into the glass, she took a sip of the sugary goodness. Moaning, she appreciated her simple breakfast.

"SHARLENE CUNNING-HAM, ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME?!"

Almost dropping both her glass and the phone, Sharlene quickly swallowed the juice she choked on. She had forgotten her mother on the line.