Chapter Seventy

"So you got fired, but what was the reason?"

Yvonne questioned with a frown.

"For my hard work."

Rita scoffed, her lips pursing as she remembered the handsome face of the brute that fired her.

"For hard work?"

Confused by the discovery, Yvonne wanted an explanation of the scenario.

"Wait, wait, wait. Can someone tell me everything in great detail?"

"The thing is..."

Janice began and continued speaking for the next five minutes, her eyes and hand gestures showing every bit of her expression.

"...and that is all."

"What?"

Yvonne was stunned, his eyebrows scrunched with irritation. Looking at Rita, he frowned.

"You are not going back there."

"I was not planning to anyway. I was enjoying my job working at the company, but ever since that Ice Lord came, everything became difficult."

She said with a huff.

"So, all Sharlene's hard work of asking Mr. Thomas for your job back was in vain?"

Janice asked, her eyebrows raised.

Shaking her head, Rita wore a Chesire grin.

"Oh no, no, no, Jan. Everything was not in vain. Mr. Thomas learned his lesson when Sharlene put him in his place."

"Which was embarrassing, by the way, Yoyo."

Sharlene included with a groan.

Yvonne murmured.

"I can already imagine."

Rita continued with immense confidence.

"And Shar will not get fired. I am sure her words opened his eyes. When will you go to his office, Shar?"

"Tomorrow."

"Great! Tell us everything when that day is over, okay? Let us see if his attitude will take a 360 turn."

"Aren't you are little too happy for Mr. Thomas's change in attitude?"

Janice asked.

With an evil smirk, Rita laughed.

"Revenge is best served cold."

-------

When Sharlene arrived to work the next day, her hands were shaking, and she was sweating like crazy. Every time someone looked in her direction, she would fight off the feeling of shying her face from their eyes. By now, the news of telling off her boss had reached every department and everyone's ears. It had made headline news in the office forum. She had become the most discussed employee in the company, even if she had just come out from the spotlight. It was a pain because she felt like a celebrity whose secrets got spilled to the public.

The followers of the 'Ice Lord' were impressed, as well as curious. Soon they blew her phone up with impersonal and useless questions, which she ignored.

But somehow, her brother had gotten a hold of her phone and answered some of the questions. Now, the people were even more skeptical of the relationship between her and the 'Ice Lord'.

Some said they were secretly dating, while others suggested she was the perfect match for him. It was nonsense.

Barely saying good morning in the elevator, she looked everywhere else instead of meeting the curious people's eyes. The moment the elevator doors opened, she speed-walked out of it while paying no mind to the loud whispers surrounding her.