Chapter Ninety-Two

"I don't want to do anything. I am just a genuinely worried sister."

"Right."

Helena drawled, clearly not convinced by her words.

"I believe you. Then go on and get yourself freshened up. You will meet us in the kitchen later."

Nodding, Sharlene bestowed another kiss on her cheek before making her way upstairs.

"OH. MY. GOD! SHARLENE WAIT! YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS!"

She heard Rita's loud squeal as she skipped behind her with a beautiful knee-length dress in her hands.

"SHE BOUGHT THE DRESS I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED!"

She jumped up and down while waving it in the air.

Her smile was contagious as she held the dress up towards her chest when Sharlene turned around.

"How does it look? Is it pretty?"

Examining the dress from top to bottom, she was astonished. It was beautiful.

"Your silence confirms it is indeed beautiful."

Smiling, Sharlene watched as Rita skip back towards Janice.

"Thank you so much, Jan. I think I'll wear it for the reception."

"Excellent choice," Janice smiled while lifting a shoebox from the ground. "These would go well with it."

Rita could only excitedly squeal while boasting to observing Helena. Chuckling, when she saw Yvonne was failing to keep her from bouncing and jumping around, Sharlene continued up the stairs.

----------

"Good morning."

The chorus of her co-workers greeted her the moment she stepped through the familiar doors in her wake to her office the next day.

"Good morning."

With an awkward smile, she responded, for this was not something she experienced every day. Everyone had also stood as if she was a significant figure in the department.

'If they could bow, their heads would touch their feet,' she thought to herself with amusement.

They were the twelfth group of people—she could not quite remember because she lost count, who had similarly greeted her. Known for being the one who said greetings to everyone she met, Sharlene was surprised when they did the honor instead.

It made her feel odd.

"A staff from the new restaurant delivered a dessert to you earlier, Miss Cunning-ham."

A redhead woman, Cherlie, whose desk was closer to her office, informed as soon as she drew near. Pausing, Sharlene turned in her direction, for she had lifted a beautifully decorated box from on top of her desk and stretched it in her direction.

"Dessert? I never ordered any dessert."

She expressed her confusion, a frown gracing her lips. Cherlie also frowned as she awkwardly held the container in her hands.

"But they specifically said it was for you, Miss Cunning-ham. There was even a paper attached with your name written on it."

Creases formed between her eyebrows.

"Really?"

"Yes. It's right there."

As she said that, Cherlie pointed to the paper connected to the box. Sharlene's lips formed a thin line when she saw her name written in cursive letters on the thin paper. With no other choice but to take it from Cherlie's hands, she genuinely thanked her before moving towards her office.