Chapter One Hundred and Fifty-Four

How many times had they circled the room?

~*~

Minutes after the odd scream had come from outside the lobby, Sharlene was surprised for the umpteenth time when she witnessed Madam Sinclair spotting a genuine smile than the sarcastic grin she was known for.

Pulling the unfamiliar young woman into her arms, she began to speak her native tongue, and everyone lucky to chance onto the scene was speechless. Everyone knew Madam Sinclair was not a citizen of Colorado and not versed in the English language, but many did not know her family roots or background.

Today, they did, and were not shocked the controlling 'Ice Queen' stemmed from Hispanic and Italian bloodline. Nonetheless, they were shocked at her show of affection. Was it because the young woman chatting a storm was a close or distant cousin?

Sharlene grew curious as she studied the young woman, and her eyes opened a fraction, for she closely resembled the popular model whose name was listed last for the program.
Princess Presley.
Gaining the title 'Queen of Modeling' from the tender age of eight because of her talent for dominating the runway, her name and achievements were always at the tip of people's lips.

'Is this Princess Presley?'

'Oh, my god. The Queen of modeling in the flesh?'

'Really?'

'Wow. Is she and Madam Sinclair related? What a small world!'

'I can't believe we did not recognize her earlier.'

'I think I am going to faint.'

'She is even prettier in person.'

'What do you mean pretty? Princess Presley is beyond pretty.'

The whispers were animated as expected.
Hiding their squeals behind their hands and fighting hard to control the thought of clicking pictures of the beautiful Princess, they huddled in corners to share their excitement.

Hearing the joyous conversation between Madam Sinclair and the presence of the unfamiliar woman was both surprising and unexpected.

Many people's eyes shifted from Princess and glanced at Sharlene.

'I am envious of the boss' secretary. God knows why she remained working for her for so long. But today has proven the benefits.'

'Right. She is lucky. Unlike us deadbeats, she will personally work with the 'Queen of Modelling'. It is unfair.'

Sharlene sighed, for the complaints of her co-workers were irrelevant. They were lucky Madam Sinclair paid them no mind because she would scold them for loitering.

However, she spoke too soon because Madam Sinclair's shout bounced off the walls, and her signature glare stopped further comments.

"What is this? A fish market? Why are you all huddled together as if the moon fell from the sky and into this room? Get back to work and stop your dilly-dallying!"

Everyone's hair on their bodies lifted, and like mice, they skidded off to work, their complaint in the form of creases on their forehead. Oh, how an extended break from work would be!

"That pertains to you too, Miss. Cunning-ham. Why are you just standing here like you are lost."

Averting her eyes from the direction the people had run off to, Sharlene sheepishly smiled.

"I apologize, Ma...I mean, boss."
Hastily, she corrected her blunder.
'What else was I supposed to do?'
She wanted to add further but thought against it.