Chapter One Hundred and Thirty-Two

Lunch was a beautiful affair.

The location, a restaurant within a hotel, walking distance from the jewelry store, made it even more enjoyable.

Hand in hand, they left the building in good spirits. Assisting her in entering the vehicle, Nick quickly rushed towards the driver's seat.

"Did you like the food?"

Nick was the first to speak, his soft eyes gazing upon Sharlene after starting the engine. Putting on her seatbelt, she expressed with a smile.

"It was delicious, but can I pay next time? It's only fair that I do, and it will be even too."

Nick chuckled.

"So, are you considering the next dinner or lunch date we have will be on you, sweetheart?"

"Yes, and I get to choose where we can go if that is fine by you."

She chirped, a specific area coming to mind.

"Of course. I look forward to it."

"Then it is settled."

Nodding, Nick was about to grasp the steering wheel when his phone rang.

"I wonder who it is."

He murmured.

"It is probably your mom."

Sharlene suggested.

"Yeah, probably."

Mumbling, Nick pulled his phone from his shirt pocket. The moment he saw and recognized the caller ID, he frowned. Switching off the engine, he curtly spoke.

"Excuse me, sweetheart."

Sharlene nodded with understanding. It appeared he had gotten an important call because his relaxed mood soon dropped.

On the third ring, Nick answered in a cryptic tone, his signature business tone.

"Nicholas Ross."

Sharlene hinted irritation in his voice, while his previously calm eyes slightly shook from the hush message of the person on the line. Detecting the annoyance in his voice, the individual on the line had seemed to quickly delve into the matter without hesitation because Nick soon asked with feigned surprise.

"What? When did that happen? Why am I learning of this now?"

As the individual expressed himself, he beat his thumb on the steering wheel to calm himself down because anger had slowly replaced his aggravation.

On the other hand, Sharlene concluded something big had happened, the interchanging expressions on his face a giveaway.

However, she said nothing. She was not a nosy person. If he wanted her to know, he would; until then, she would remain neutral. Leaning in her seat, she gave him the privacy he needed by turning her head to look out the window.

Lifting her left hand, she admired how the engagement ring glittered in the afternoon sun. It was indeed beautiful. Thinking back on the moment Nick had put it on her finger, she blushed.

Stealing a glance at him, she admired his regal and astute speaking. Whatever matter had come to his attention sounded crucial. However, he neither raised his voice nor was rude to the individual on the other end.

Placing her hand underneath her chin, she closed her eyes but with Nick's face in mind. His calm voice lulled her asleep.

Breathing a heavy sigh, Nick rubbed the space between his nose and forehead. The news he was learning at this moment from Hector Thomas was distressing.