Chapter Ten

Nicholas did not know how to imagine this situation. A week and five days had passed in a flash. The time for dinner with the Doccharles had finally come. Overlooking the glistening bayfront, the restaurant Doccharles choose had been appropriate for the dinner.

His mother dressed was dressed to impress. Wearing the latest designed dress, a gorgeous golden dress, and specific earrings, necklace, and bracelets he designed and created, she had a pearly white smile.

His father was in a white suit, much too his mother's dislike.

She had wanted them to match, but his father had adamantly refused to wear the color golden.

It was a lengthy debate since his mother was persuasive and stubborn, but his father had won.

The conversation was flowing smoothly, but only between his parents and Mrs. and Mr. Doccharles.

His sister Riana Ross had tagged along but only because of the desserts served at the restaurant. She had a vibrant sweet tooth that made him cringe since he was not a dessert lover.

His younger brother was not too kin of being friendly with the mayor and his family, so he went to hang out with their friends in Chicago. He had persuasively begged Nicholas to lend him the private jet to do such, which he begrudgingly allowed with various rules.

Soon, his mother, who was silently scrutinizing Sherlene from head to toe, began whispering in his ears, and he completely ignored her.

Looking in Riana's direction, he saw a lack of interest written all over her face when she had witnessed Sherlene practically gluing herself to him like an octopus.

From the moment they had entered the restaurant, she was shamelessly batting her eyelashes and laughing sweetly while stealing glances in his direction every two seconds.

She was bothersome.

It seemed his sister had not taken a liking to the 'spoiled rich brat' as his mother preferred to call her.

"It is an honor to have you all here with us tonight."

Doccharles spoke first, his smile genuine.

"Likewise. We heard of your recent accomplishment. We are genuinely sorry for not being present for the dinner party."

Victor Ross genuinely spoke. His voice was polite.

"It's quite alright. My achievement was thanks to your son, Mr. Ross."

Smiling, Victor nodded.

"He is a helpful fellow."

Doccharles' smile broaden. The interactions between the two families were polite and respectful, but the air around them was uncomfortable. The reason? Their daughter was drilling holes in the head of Nicholas with her eyes.

"Let's enjoy a wonderful meal then."

Victor smiled in agreement.

And so the dinner went on.

An expensive and beautiful gourmet meal and imported wine served, their attention went towards their food.

It was a slow evening with everyone occupied in their meals when Sherlene, who appeared to burst with glee, suddenly opened her mouth. Her attention had never wavered from poor Nicholas even while eating.

"Are you single?"

If he was drinking or eating something at that moment, Nicholas knew he would have choked to death. His mother elegantly spat in a napkin from the surprising words. Riana and Victor were lucky enough to bring the food to their mouths. They slowly placed it back down on the plate.