Chapter One Hundred and Thirty-One

Five minutes later, Nick returned but without Carrisa in tow.

"I'm sorry for keeping you waiting, sweetheart."

He apologized. Grabbing her hands, he bestowed numerous kisses on the surface.

She blushed at his sudden show of affection.

"It's alright."

She reassured, but Nick shook his head.

"No, it's not."

Suddenly, her stomach gave another loud rumble, and her blush intensified.

The edges of his eyes twitched as he smiled.

"Why don't we go have lunch? There is a restaurant not far from here. How does that sound?"

Blushing when her stomach rumbled for the third time after hearing the word lunch, Sharlene nodded.

"I do feel famished."

"Good, because I do too."

His words were accompanied by gently pulling onto her hands, but she was reluctant to stand.

Instead, she grabbed his arm and pulled him to sit down next to her, and he complied.

"Wait. What about the rings?"
She asked while glancing at the boxes on the coffee table.
"I did not choose any of them."

Nick chuckled.

"You don't have to worry about that. There are more where those came from."

"There are more?"
Her eyes widened from the thought.

Nick smiled, for her expression was cute.

"Of course, there are more. Choosing the perfect engagement and wedding ring is a serious matter."

Brooding, Sharlene released her hold on his arm.

"I hope these will have happier stories behind them. Sadly, all those beautiful rings carried such heavy meanings of betrayal, unrequited love, tragedy, and love-to-hatred stories."

"My mother adores romance. Every piece of jewelry she develops comes from her wide imagination."

"Did she come up with those stories on her own?"

Nick nodded as he kissed her on the forehead. He could not stop doing that silly action. Sharlene was just so...appealing.

"My sister helped a little. She was the one who came up with the dragon story, but my mother extended it to fit the design of the materials."

"Ah. I can imagine her coming up with that idea."

Sharlene leaned on his arm.

"But they were all so gorgeously designed., especially the second one. If Carrisa had not told me the story, I might have chosen it, but then again."

She sighed.

"I see you know your jewelry."

Nick praised. It was something he had wanted to tell her moments ago.

Sharlene gloated.

"Of course I do."

He chuckled while brushing a stray hair from her forehead and placing it behind her ear.

"Of course you do."

Lost within each other eyes, Nick and Sharlene became oblivious to the outside world.

"Sorry for keeping you waiting."

Carrisa apologized as soon as she entered the room.

Sharlene was the first to turn away, her blush on her face lovely.