Chapter One Hundred and Thirty-Five

{Above is the imaginary pic of the front of the mansion}

Her eyes flew wide open when the majestic mansion came into view beyond a well-trimmed hedge. It was as beautiful as she fantasized.

"Is that the Ross mansion?"
She questioned, and the driver curtly answered.
"Yes, young mistress. It is called Luighseach. The name derives from an old Gaelic family lineage which means bringer of light."

Sharlene was enamored by the information and curiously asked.
"Does that mean the Ross' is a family with rich heritage?"

"Indeed they are, young mistress. They are a family that has been in existence for decades. I know this because my ancestors, including me, have served the family during that lengthy period."

"Really?"

Sharlene continued to admire the mansion while the driver enthusiastically explained the history of the Ross Family.

"The Ross' and their property had survived the great two wars that had shaken the entire globe: world war 1 and 2. Evidence of that destructive event still stands as monuments around the mansion."

Nodding at the driver's words, she gave the mansion her full attention.

Surrounded by lush trees, the four-story building looked more like a castle than a house. It was grand and expensive.

"How many generations did the Ross family have?"

She questioned, her attention yet to avert from the mansion.

"Ten generations, young mistress."

Sharlene hummed.

For a family to survive ten generations, even after the destructive world wars, was unheard of. She had thought her family lineage was fortunate, but after learning about the Ross', she felt inclined to be re-educated in history.

Too soon, tall canopy trees obstructed her view, but she knew the building would soon show itself because they were nearer than farther away. A wave of insecurity soon overtook her, her previous nervousness resurfacing.

Disappointed in an unspoken matter, she turned her attention away from the building.

As if he sensed her drop in mood, the driver's flamboyant words became simple.

"Sixteen years ago, the mansion was built. However, over the years, it was renovated to suit the change of era. Some of the old artistic foundations and buildings from ten years ago still stand and are regularly used."

"The Ross family has a beautiful history."

She mused but fell into silence soon after.

"Do you appreciate history, young mistress?"

The driver asked, and Sharlene nodded. She had enjoyed the simple information the driver shared.

"Yes, I do."

"I am glad. I was afraid my speaking bored you."

Sheepish, for she had indeed failed to listen to some of his gallantly expressed words, Sharlene shook her head.

"Oh, not at all."

Reassured, the driver returned his attention to the road, but he regularly checked her face in the rearview mirror. She was no longer smiling.

Sharlene turned her attention to the lake that expanded beyond the two sides of the bridge the car drove across.

It was as beautiful as any other large body of water but still managed to stand out in between the healthy and robust trees.
Witnessing ducks and geese with their chicks swimming and traveling down the clear water, she gasped.