Chapter One Hundred and Forty-Four

"I believe she's in her world now, ma. That is understandable. We all needed this type of relaxation, right Dee?"

Verona said, smiling in Dee's direction.

She was in the shallow part of the bath. In a basin shape area, a perfect fit for her size. But unlike their luxury, Dee had two swimming friends—a yellow duck and blue fish, which she played with in the water.

Her giggles and constant splashing were her definite answer to the fun she was having.

"I think she is enjoying it more than we all are, mom."

Nadia spluttered and laughed after Dee splashed water onto her face and hair.

"Come in, mom. The water is pretty nice."

Cristobel beckoned with a coy smile.

"No. I think I will pass. It looks deep."

Hurriedly, Irene declined after sitting on the bench. And she was glad she had taken her bath before the festive night bath! She was far too afraid of any basin filled with water to take a test of courage.

"Oh, come on, mummy. Even Dee can stand in the jacuzzi."

"She can stand in it because where she is, is shallow. I am not coming. Just continue soaking in your bath and leave me alone, Cristobel."

Irene sassily responded.

"You are no fun, mom."

Huffing, Cristobel averted her eyes onto Sharlene. A willing ally.

"Then, why don't you come to sit by auntie? The night is long, and our curiosity is unwavering."

She offered with a smile.

Shyly nodding, Sharlene carefully entered the water with the help of the handrails.

Putting her glass aside, Cristobel enveloped her niece in a side hug.

"And how long do you plan on sitting here?"

Irene asked, her eyebrows raised.

"I think I already explained myself earlier, ma."

Cristobel chirped, and Irene could only sigh. Where Helena inherited her temperament, Cristobel displayed her stubbornness. She had no right to retort.

"Then let us get to the main topic at hand."

She brought up, her eyes forming into a glare when she saw the lulling head of Helena. Using the closest object near her, she ungently hit her shoulder. She jerked awake from the dull pain and saw a red comb fall into the water. Folding her arms on her chest, Irene glowered.

"Helena, don't be thinking of catching sheep. We have a lot of explaining to do."

With a gigantic yawn, as she used the comb to pass through her hair, Helena's lips soon formed a smile.

"Curious as ever, mom."

"You already know how."

"Okay. Where do we start?"

"From the beginning."

Irene pointed out, and Helena nodded.

"From the beginning, it is. Sharlene?"

Breathing a heavy sigh, Sharlene glanced at her aunts and Nadia's curious faces before settling back on her grandmother.

"What I am about to say is shocking, but please don't be, everyone. I promise I will explain everything in great detail. So listen attentively."