Chapter One Hundred and Forty-Seven

“Enough of the theatrics, you two. It is not yet the end of the world." Helena sternly stated, her hands occupied with cutting a piece of toast.

Sharlene smiled while Rita laughed.

"Good morning to you too, mum."

As she humored Sharlene's chaste kiss on her cheek, Helena directed her attention to the kitchen counter.

"I am sure you are famished. Over there is more food than you can imagine. Choose whatever suits your fancy."

Sharlene glanced in the direction her mother pointed, and her stomach grumbled. Witnessing the variety of dishes made her mouth water. She was also curious about its whereabouts.

Everyone was gathered around the counter as if it was a buffet-style gathering. Their plates were piled with food; they were embroiled in boisterous conversations: the typical attitude of the Macintyre family.

Sharlene beamed at the lovely sight in front of her. Everyone was here except her unspoken aunt, cousin, and busy uncle. Nonetheless, she was basking with joy.

 "... come get your breakfast, Shar. I am sure you are famished.”

She heard Cristobel call, her mouth filled with food that her words were unrecognizable. Irene chided her unladylike action, but her aunt only brushed her comment aside by lifting a plate of macaroons that had taken her fancy.

Sharlene laughed when her mom snatched it out of her hand and began to share it between the arguing AJ and Jaoquin. They were fighting over a piece of toast, which had fallen onto the ground.

Helena's stern glare resolved the issue while she proceeded to spoon-feed excitedly bouncing Dee.

"How are you feeling, darling?"

Irene asked, her attention averting from flamboyantly expressive Peter to approaching Sharlene. Opening her arms wide, she accepted her brief but warm hug with a smile.

"I feel a little better than yesterday, grandma."

Bestowing a kiss on her cheeks after replying, Sharlene sat in the empty next to her while Rita moved to her original seat next to Yvonne, who was speaking about 'work-related things' with Tristain.

"She had to grandma because her favorite food was on the line. Can't have someone else eating it, right Shar?"

Clarice said with a knowing smile as she lifted pouting Lily onto her lap.

"That would not be chocolate, right?"

Helena interjected while handing a plate of food to Clarice. Her stern look made Sharlene hastily speak.  

"I promise to eat it after breakfast."

Clarice smiled while gingerly wiping Lily's mouth with a cloth.

Helena dismissed the thought with a hum. Sharlene was not fooling anyone with her addiction to chocolate. Swiftly, the conversation changed, and Clarice began to main subject.

"So, why did you guys arrive so early?"
Sharlene asked.

"Ah, yes, I did promise to speak about that. Our week off was scheduled to be next week. We planned to come on the night of the family dinner and fly back early the next day, but that flew out the window. Imagine my surprise when the boss called and informed me that I was off for the next seven days. Tristian had a similar occurrence, but the only difference is he was given five days off instead of seven."

"So, you re-scheduled your flight and decided to come today?" Sharlene spoke in between chewing on a piece of toast she had snagged.

"Yes. Either way, we would have made ourselves available for the family dinner because we wanted to support your decision with our presence."