Chapter Nine

An hour later, Sharlene was crazily yawning, and that was because her bedtime had passed an hour ago.

Gazing down at the first drawn product on the table, she groaned.

Her glasses stubbornly slipping off her face because of her yawn. Everyone but Miss. Apex had left, as Madam Sinclair predicted.

Sharlene was thankful she was not alone as she looked at the middle-aged woman mopping the floor of the cubicles beyond the glass windows of her office. The loud ping of her phone brought her back into reality. Grabbing the black box from on top of her messy desk, she sighed when it was a message from her mother demanding her reason for not coming home.

Tapping the call log, she did not have to wait long, for her mother answered on the first ring.

"Where are you, sweetie?"

"I am sorry, mom. I am still at the office. I might not come home tonight because of so much paper-work my boss left me."

Whining while massaging her forehead, Sharlene stood from her chair to stretch her fatigue body.

"That's preposterous! Does your boss not work? Why do you have to do her work?"

Hearing the angry tone in her mother's voice, Sharlene mumbled.

"It's part of my job description."

A slight huff, her mother was not pleased.

"No, it's not. When I meet that boss of yours, I will give her an ear full."

Chuckling, Sharlene returned to her seat.

"It's alright, mom. I have gotten used to it."

"You mean being a busy body?"

Humming, she blew kisses into the phone.

"Love you, mom, and don't worry, I have already eaten."

"You better did or else."

The phone went dead, alerting Sharlene that the call had ended. She placed her phone on the table; her determination replenished after hearing her mother's voice.

Crackling her fingers, she removed a band from her bag and tied her waist-length black hair into a tight updo. Placing her glasses back onto her face and adjusting the light in the room to her eye-sight, she resumed her work.

By the time she had finished a quarter of the work, it was half-past 1.

Dead tired, after sorting everything in an appropriate order, Sharlene removed a flow pillow from her bag and standing from the uncomfortable chair, she walked towards the sofa. Placing her bags on the floor and removing her shoes, she dived into the comfortable chair like it was her bed.

The moment she closed her eyes, the light penetrating through the window attacked her closed eyelids. It felt just like minutes that she had fallen asleep, but the blasting alarm from her phone that shook her to the very core made it apparent she had slept for five hours.

Waking up as if an earthquake was occurring, she rushed on wobbling legs towards the phone on the desk to see that it was six o'clock.

Switching off the annoying ringtone, Sharlene gave a loud and unsatisfying yawn. Passing a hand through her untamed bird nest hair,

she squinted her eyes to view the messages on her phone.

One was from her mother, while two others were from her boss. Grabbing her abandoned glasses from the desk, she fumed for the half-hearted messages from her boss were annoying.