Chapter Ninety-Seven

Indeed, their boss would occasionally smile, grin or chuckle sometimes, but they had never seen his eyes twinkle with joy like now.

Oblivious of the eyes watching him, Nick deleted his pathetic apology. Instead, he replaced it with smiling and winking emojis and sentimental words.

I am glad to be back. I missed you too.

Her reply was eminent and had numerous blushing and smiling emojis.

Question: Can I meet you after work?

He typed soon after, but her answer never came. Sighing, when she hadn't replied even after three minutes, he placed his phone on the table then lifted his head.

Catching everyone gazing at him with weird eyes, he raised an eyebrow in question.

Clearing their throats, they returned to eating their meal, and he followed soon after.

However, his eyes constantly glanced at the blank screen of his phone. Even after he had finished eating and dessert was served, which he politely declined, his eyes were on the phone.

Standing, he lifted it from the table.

Everyone else followed suit, though they were far from finishing their dessert.

"Are you leaving, sir?"

Hector asked.

"Yes. As I said before, notify me of everything I need to know later."

"Of course."

Nodding, Nick placed on his suit jacket and swiftly exited the room.

His bodyguards, who had remained guarding the door in the place of the staff, wordlessly tailed behind him.

He felt a little disappointed.

Glancing at his phone once more, he decided to call her. However, after four rings, he was unable to get her. Sighing, he placed it back into its carven in his suit jacket and proceeded down the hallway. When he was about to enter the noisy environment, his phone rang.

Abruptly he stopped and fished out the phone.

Without wasting time, he unlocked it and answered on the second ring.

"I am so sorry, Nick. My phone suddenly died on me."

Her voice was as lovely as always, and he smiled.

"Thankfully, Jan had a portable charger on her."

A chuckle left his throat while he mentally kicked himself for his slight fret.

"It's alright, sweetheart."

His smile broadened when he heard her sigh of relief. She then continued.

"And about your question earlier. I am afraid we can't meet. I have to be home by 5:00 since I am one of the bridesmaids for my friend's wedding, which will be taking place tonight at 8:00."

Her words deflated his joy, and a frown replaced his smile.

He was looking forward to meeting her today, but it appeared other things were against it.

'Well. There is nothing I can do about it.'

He thought.

"Okay. What about tomorrow afternoon? Will you be less busy then?"

"I will make time."

His frown turned into a smile after hearing those words.

"Is that a yes?"