Chapter Sixty-Nine

"So, you are leaving?"

------

Two days passed after Yvonne's sudden arrival, the misunderstanding clearing up faster than a storm. Rita's smiling and contagious bubbly attitude were back, her chattering increasing with her joy. Whatever was troubling them had finally been resolved. It was a Wednesday afternoon, after another crazy day of work. Sharlene had decided to retire early. That was because she had arrived home a bit later in the afternoon than she presumed. After a refreshing bath, she had gone to the kitchen, in search of some water, when she had heard the doorbell ring.

"AJ, THE DOOR!"

Stepping from the kitchen after pouring water from a jug into her glass, she screamed, her vocal cords straining.

"I AM BUSY!"

His annoyed scream greeted her, and she grumbled.

"What is so important that he can't even come open the door? I am also busy."

Glancing at the filled glass, she heavily sighed when the doorbell rang once more. Placing the glass on the end table, she shouted when the bell rang a third time.

"I'm coming!"

"Stop coming and come!"

Hearing the familiar voice of Rita behind the door, her tired body brightened, and she increased her steps towards the door. Throwing it open, she did not give Rita the time to breathe as she attacked her with a hug.

"Oh my god, I missed you."

Recuperating her hug with a roll of her eyes, Rita was not amused.

"We saw each other two days ago."

"Even if. It felt like a century. You did not even call or text."

Pulling away as she said this, Sharlene looked wronged.

Clicking her teeth, Rita flicked her forehead.

"Stop exaggerating."

Pouting, Sharlene playfully glared at Yvonne.

"Why should I not? You took my best friend for two whole days."

Smiling, Yvonne shared a look with Rita.

"It was necessary."

"Of course it was. And I hope everything went well?"

Sharlene asked, her sparkling eyes already detecting that everything was well between Yvonne and Rita.

"Yes."

"That's great to hear. Now tell me all about it."

As she said this, she pulled them into the house. Closing the door with her foot behind her, she interlocked her hand in the crook of their arms.

Bringing them to the living room, she took her glass from the end table to sip on it while paying close attention to every detail in their explanation.

Half an hour later, Yvonne's eyes were red from crying, Rita sparing a similar look. They both look worn, but the smiles on their faces warded off the fatigue. With their hands intertwined together, Rita and Yvonne looked appeased.

-------

"Yes, we are, at least not now."

Rita answered a few seconds after Sharlene asked the question, the joy on her face contagious. She looked as if she was on cloud nine.

"And you are not coming back?"

Sharlene asked again, her eyes wide like saucers.

Glancing at each other, Rita and Yvonne shared a knowing smile before turning back to face curious Janice and Sharlene.