Chapter Forty-Five

Side-stepping her, Sharlene walked towards the door.

"You got a call from you-know-who."

Rita frantically spoke.

That caused Sharlene to stop in her tracks. Upon seeing her hesitance, Rita hurriedly added.

"That was the reason I came."

Slowly turning around, Sharlene raised an eyebrow.

"You are bribing me to forgive you again, Rita."

Rapidly shaking her head in denial, Rita stretched her phone towards her.

"Of course not, Shar. It was him."

Humming, she was about to take the phone from her hands but then paused when she saw the hidden smile in her eyes.

"Then why are your eyes twinkling with laughter, Riri?"

Rita became relieved because Sharlene had returned to calling her by her nickname.

"You look distrusting."

She murmured.

Sharlene's anger was gone like the wind as she folded her arms on top of her chest.

That was the relationship between the two best and close friends. They were always in a bind before everything is solved. They would go back to laughing and crying together in a few minutes, after their useless fights, as her brother called it.

Her family was accustomed to their frolicking because they knew the outcome would be the same.

However, people who did not know them always whispered behind their backs about their crazy bickering, then drastic making up.

Looking at Sharlene, Rita knew her anger had dissipated, and everything was back to normal. They had a weird friendship but stuck to each other like glue.

"What are you saying, Shar? I am not laughing. He called. Look at the log calls to confirm if I am lying to you."

Pushing the phone towards her face, Rita cheekily smiled.

"You sure are cheeky and persuasive, Riri. Fine."

Huffing, Sharlene took the phone. With pursed lips, she slid the lock off and almost fainted then and there when it was true. At the very top of the screen flashed a missed call from a very familiar number.

"I...I missed it. I...I missed his call."

Murmuring over and over again, Sharlene felt tears that were never there before falling down her cheeks. So negatively moved by the fact she had missed the call, it brought her to tears.

"Why am I crying?"

Sobbing, she squeezed the phone towards her chest. She continuously wiped away the tears with her sleeve, but it was never-ending.

"I cannot stop crying. What is wrong with me?"

The smile dropped from Rita's face as an unreadable expression adorned it.

"Did you not read the pregnancy books I gave you, Shar?"

"What pregnancy books?"

Rita's face dropped with further disbelief.

"Did you also left your brain when you were thinking of Mr. Ross?"

Pouting her lips while still sobbing, Sharlene was offended by Rita's statement.

"What do you mean, Riri?"

"What I mean is, apart from work, Mr. Ross has taken a large amount of your mind, hasn't he?"