Chapter One Hundred

"Oh my god."

Like a mantra, she repeated those words to herself while descending the stairs as carefully but fast as possible. Her eyes shined with joy when she sighted Nick patiently sitting and waiting on the two-piece sofa.

Without batting an eye, she rushed over.

"Welcome back, Nick!"

She exclaimed with a smile on her face.

Upon seeing her approaching, Nick stood with a friendly smile on his face. However, before he could greet her with a handshake, she suddenly hugged him while being mindful of not pressing her face onto his chest.

Awkward, his hand froze in the air.

He did not bother to breathe and was like a block of ice in her arms. Nick had not expected such a greeting from Sharlene's friend since they were not more than strangers. It was flattering but unbecoming at the same time.

Laughing as if she was high on euphoria, Rita quickly pulled away from him, making sure to take two steps back. That was because she sensed he was uncomfortable with her abrupt show of affection.

"Sorry about that."

She sheepishly apologized after clearing her throat, throat, but her crazy smile was yet to leave her face.

Breathing in the oxygen his lungs craved, he brushed her apology aside, though, inside, he was still flustered by her action.

"It's alright."

Relieved by his response, Rita's smile widened and swiftly changed the conversation.

"I heard that you would be the one bringing us to the hall?"

"Yes."

Trying her hardest to hide her excitement, Rita cooly asked.

"And in a limousine?"

"Yes."

He assertively answered.

Detecting an odd gleam appearing in her eyes and a weird smirk adorning her lips, Nick cautiously took a step back, for it was scary looking. Clearing his throat to dismiss his sudden action, he averted his eyes from her face towards the space behind her.

"Is everyone else ready?"

He asked, but in reality, he wanted to know the whereabouts of Sharlene, the person he was looking forward to seeing up close, and the main reason he had volunteered.

Before Rita could answer, Sharlene made her grand entrance with Janice following behind.

Upon seeing him, she paused, her emotions displaying on her face like an open book. Her presence took the very breath from his lungs, and like the very first day he met her, he became entranced. Dressed in a light lavender dress decorated with flower patterns, Sharlene Cunning-ham was lovely.

"Hi."

That was the only word that could leave his lips before his brain could register it. Sharlene's pretty blush was the first thing to blossom on her face before she parted her lips and repeated the same thing he said, albeit shier. Though their mouths had nothing much to express, their eyes did, and they continued to gaze at each other.

Rita soon skipped towards Sharlene, and like a mosquito in her ears, whispered, "is that the only thing you can say at this moment? Why not go over and hug the living daylights out of him as I did?"

Breaking the intimate eye contact, Sharlene looked with wonder at Rita.

"You did what?"

She whisper-yelled.