Chapter Ninety-Four

"Yes."

Sharlene answered as she removed the box from the bag and placed it on the table.

"It is a beautifully decorated Apple Tart, which I had the pleasure of tasting only once. Someone not only ordered but sent it to my office this morning."

"Are you telling me someone just woke up one morning and decided to order and deliver an Apple Tart to you?"

Chuckling, Sharlene nodded, and Janice was in denial.

"No way. There must be a reason behind the gift."

"I said that myself. And resolved that it was Timmy who bought it because he was the only one who mentioned the restaurant was having a promotion for it."

"And was it him?"

Sharlene sighed.

"No, it was not. I even called him to clarify. In the end, he denied ever buying it for me."

"So, who else do you think would have bought it for you?"

Janice asked with a hand underneath her chin.

However, Sharlene could not answer because of the loud commotion suddenly occurring around them. It was coming from the entrance of the restaurant and had drawn everyone's attention. That included all the employees who stood from their seats. Everyone else had lost interest in minding their own business while breaking their necks and balancing on the tip of their toes to catch a glimpse above others' heads.

Scrunching her eyebrows, for she too had been drawn by the noise, Sharlene was about to turn her head to face Janice.

She had repeated her question after all.

Yet, her head and eyes refused to listen to the command of her brain when she sighted a familiar face erupting from the clamoring crowd.

"Nick."

She breathlessly murmured, her heart racing with excitement in her chest.

"What? Did Nick buy it for you? But isn't he halfway across the world?"

Confused as never before, Janice was staring at Sharlene as if she had grown two heads.

Shaking her head and without glancing at her, Sharlene felt her cheeks burn when Nick's eyes had abruptly rested upon hers.

"I'm not talking about the dessert, Jan. It's Nick. He is here."

Her voice cracked as if she wanted to squeal but could not, the excitement in her eyes making up for the lack of expression.

Following her line of sight, Janice gasped while stating the obvious.

"And he is coming directly over."

----------

Nick thought the hours on the plane would never end.

For eleven hours, he had remained in one position, despite the occasional bathroom breaks. The plan for coming home on Friday was unsuccessful because of two obstacles; the eleven hours duration, which his mother had not considered, and his father's private plane's sudden engine failure halfway through the journey.

In the end, he remained two more days in his office until his brother and father's arrival the following day via car ride.

And then there was yet another obstacle he had to face on his way home. Instead of a straight and relaxing flight on his private plane home, he found out that his brother had lent his private plane to one of their cousins without asking his permission.