Chapter Eleven

Soon, Monday had rolled upon Sharlene's shoulders, but she was not as recklessly late as other times. It was the day off she took from work to attend her medical appointment in the new hospital after all.

The appointment was at 10 am, but she had woken up two hours in advance with a fresh mindset and rested brain. Her boss had kept her word of overworking her for six days straight. The woman deserved an award for being the worst boss of the year.

Humming her favorite song, she skipped down the staircase in her newly bought white pleated skirt that reached her knees, a polka dot blouse that hugged her generous bust, and a beautiful cardigan that matched her blue eyes on top of it. Her black two-inch heels that strapped to her ankle adorned her small feet.

Today, she wore her newly bought contact, and her hair was in a cute ponytail.

Light makeup, a fake gold necklace adorning her neck, and earrings on her ear lobes, she felt pretty.

With her newly bought purse hanging on her shoulders, she was eager to see the new hospital.

By the time she reached the drawing-room, she had sighted her brother lounging on the love-seat with the television displaying an episode of Arrow. It was a series she realized he enjoyed. Why? She had no idea.

He was in his element, that is, being lazy and laid back.

She had chased him all around the house for two days for her car keys, and surprisingly it was sitting on the coffee table in front of him.

"Wow."

Turning his head from an exciting part of the episode to see the lovely vision of his dressed up sister; AJ teased.

"If I did not know any better, I would have said you were off to a date with a secret admirer."

Scoffing at her brother's mockery while blushing from his kind appraisal, she rolled her eyes. Pushing his foot from on top of the sofa, she sat next to him.

"Hey!"

Exclaiming, for she had removed him from his comfortable spot, AJ frowned. Dipping her hands in the bowl of popcorn in his lap, which Helena had made this morning, she took a handful, which he quickly altered by gently gripping her hand and pushing it away.

"Go get your own."

"You selfish brood. Sharing is caring."

Huffing, Sharlene placed the one she had managed to snag into her mouth.

"Where is mom?"

Shrugging his shoulders while averting his eyes to stare back at the screen, AJ continued to stuff down the popcorn in his mouth.

"She said something about Clarice coming to visit soon and went out of the house to shop more groceries, blah, blah, blah."

Sharlene's ears perked up like a dog when she heard her eldest sister's name.

"Clarice is coming? When?"

"She called me this morning. She will arrive next week."

Her mother answered as soon as she stepped into the room.

"That is exciting! Is she bringing Lily with her?"

Helena nodded as her scrunched eyes fell onto AJ.

"Are you not supposed to be at school today?"

"I have detention, remember mom?"

In a matter-of-fact tone, AJ muttered while leaning forward to capture the action scene on the television.

Slapping his shoulders, Sharlene frowned.

"Stop saying it like it is matter-of-fact. You only started school a week and five days ago."

Smirking, AJ stretched and placed his barefoot on the coffee table.

"That is my specialty, sis. Going to school is not for me."

Rolling her eyes, Sharlene kicked his legs off the coffee table while Helena commanded her son to tidy up the house.

"Come on, mom. I should be relaxing."

"How does no allowance for a month sound? I bet it will make my hard-earned money stay warm and nice inside my pocket."

Helena threatened, and her brother quickly jumped to action. Turning off the television, he started off tidying the living room.

Laughing, Sharlene stood and kissed her mother goodbye. Grabbing her car keys off the coffee table, she walked out of the house.

Entering her vehicle, she drove to the hospital. On her arrival, Sharlene thought she was in a different world. Parking her vehicle in an available spot in the large car park, she locked it behind her.

Staring up at the building, she was in awe. Everything looked expensive, but the mayor had promised service was not. Speed walking into the hospital, Sharlene was amazed at the beautiful indoor decoration and colors.

The tiles were a smooth grey color that seemed to glitter, while the walls were white and black. It was a blend that clashed wonderfully with the grey tiled floor.

Gorgeous and comfortable chairs lined the walls, and the elevator doors down the hallway were grey.

Walking up to a blonde head woman who was one of the many receptionists here, Sharlene was about to speak when she accidentally bounced against a woman's shoulders. She had not seen her walking by.

"Do you not look where you are going?"

Exclaiming, the girl was rude and irritated.

"I am sorry."

Sharlene quickly apologized, but the girl flipped her soft golden locks from her shoulders in a dismissive attitude. That simple gesture reminded her of her snarky boss. Glancing up to see a beautiful brown-eyed girl who appeared the same age as she was glaring at her, Sharlene was amazed. With snow-white skin, extravagant and expensive makeup adorning her oval-shaped face, a designer polka dot dress that reached mid-thigh with small peep-toe heels, the girl was like a carbon copy of Madam Sinclair. She was also model-like tall like her.

"What good is your sorry, when my mood has now blackened?"

'Is this girl serious?'

Sharlene wondered as she gazed at her up and down. She had not blinked her fake eyelashes, so she knew the uptight girl was serious.

"Oh, I am sorry. I did not see you. Did it hurt where I hit you?"

Scoffing while placing on her shades, which she had ruthlessly moved to gaze upon the girl who bumped into her, Sherlene grumbled.

"Do not let me see you again."

With that said, she sidestepped Sharlene. A small chap of a girl--most likely her assistant quickly followed behind her.

Glad she survived the confrontation, Sharlene turned back towards the receptionist. She had moved from behind her desk to stand in front of her.

"Are you okay?"

She asked with genuine interest.

"I guess."

Chuckling, Sharlene shrugged.

"I have seen worse."

She referred to the first-hand experience she had suffered under her boss.

"Then how can I help you?"

Glad the woman was not a pusher, Sharlene quickly explained her reason for coming to the hospital, and she received her information.

"It is on the third floor. If you get lost, ask the nurses or doctors."

"Thank you."

With a small smile, she left the receptionist and quickly rushed to the elevator. Punching in the floor number, she hummed while tapping the papers in her hands to the beat in her head. It took two minutes to reach the third floor, and the wait was worth it. Just like the ground floor, this floor was large and beautifully decorated.