Chapter One Hundred and Fourteen

Whispering while comfortingly rubbing her back, Helena encouraged her to stand. As soon as Mia was back on her two feet, her sobbing had decreased into sniffles.

Glancing up at Helena, she threw herself into her arms and buried her head in her chest.

Begrudgingly, Mia allowed her to talk her into the thought of having a seat and enjoying a dish of popcorn. Though they bickered from time to time, Sharlene deeply cared for Mia. She was her friend's sister, and God forbid, like a little sister to her as well.

She glanced in AJ's direction, and he shrugged but with a silly grin. He had kept silent during the accustomed interaction. However, his eyes were saying a different story.

'Yikes, am I getting punished for not keeping the end of our deal?'

She thought while turning back to look at Mia. She was cutely nibbling on the popcorn and looking innocent as if she had never barged into the house earlier or spoken.

Sitting back down on the sofa, Sharlene sighed.

"Don't worry, Mimi. I am sure when Yoyo comes back, he will bring you home."

Lifting her head from Helena's chest, Mia huffed.

"Who told you I am going anywhere? If brother refuses to come with me, then I will stay here and live with all of you for the rest of my life."

Sharlene gasped in outrageousness.

"You do realize that if you stay here forever, you will live like us peasants, right?"

"I don't care."

Muttering, Mia snuggled deeper into Helena's chest. Sharlene closed her eyes to gather her wits. She was deliberately pushing her buttons.

"Mia, you cannot stay with us."

She stressed every syllable this time.

Pouting, Mia folded her arms on top of her chest.

"Why can't I?"

She scoffed after shoving another set of popcorn in her mouth. Glancing up at Helena, she used her signature puppy dog eyes while pleading.

"Can I stay, Mama?"

Sharlene's eyes widened.

"No. No. Nopeedy nope. You can't stay."

She hurriedly denied with her hands shaking in front of her.

Mia turned to look at her with squared eyebrows.

"I asked Mama the question and not you."

A volcano erupted in her brain.

'How can someone be so rude?' Sharlene thought as she gritted her teeth.

Nope. She could not allow Mia to stay. She had endured her attitude for one year, and it had taken half her life. That was because she always had the perfect comeback that irritated her.

"I don't think that is a bad idea. Rita is leaving soon, and though Shar has another friend, you can stay to keep her company."

AJ commented with a shrug, and Sharlene got whiplash. Her mouth flew open, and her eyes spoke of a million ways she would dispose of him. How could he betray me like this?

Ignoring her glare, he added.

"We," emphasizing the 'we' while sending a wink in annoyed Sharlene's direction, AJ looked smug.

"Would love to have you with us, Mia. Your departure a year ago was far too sudden. We did not spend enough time together."

Sharlene's eyebrows twitched.