Chapter Forty-Six

"It surely is, Mr. Ross."

Frowning, he became even more curious.

"And who am I speaking to?"

He heard the person smack their mouth together in the speaker before tsking.

"I feel tremendously hurt that you would forget your fiancé's best friend, Mr. Ross."

As if something had clicked in his mind, the face of Sharlene's friend, who she introduced a week and one day ago, came to mind.

"Miss. Rita?"

"That is my name."

Hearing her humorous laughing, he lowly chuckled along.

"I apologize for not remembering."

"Oh, no need for that. I have experienced that too many a time."

Smiling for he was glad she did not hold a grudge, Nick quickly jumped to the purpose of his call.

"Is Sharlene anywhere close to you? I tried calling her earlier, but it rang out."

Even as he spoke, he heard the nervousness in his voice, which he quickly cleared away with an inaudible cough but not before pulling the phone away from his face.

"Oh, she is, but the thing is, I do not think she can come to the phone."

Frowning, Nick stood from the chair and walked towards the window. He was a little afraid that the reason for Sharlene's lack of enthusiasm to answer his call was because he had not kept his promise. The week was almost over. But that was not his entire fault. The moment he had landed in Italy, his work was cut out for him because piles and piles of documents, mismanagement, and other relevant issues had greeted him the moment he walked through the double doors of his newly opened hotel doors.

He wanted to apologize for his lack of punctuality.

"Why? Did something happen? Is the baby alright?"

"No, nothing happened. The baby is fine. It's just that Sharlene is in the shower, and when she is in there, she thinks she is doing Karaoke or something. She..."

Her words were astonishing that he suddenly frowned when shuffling and murmuring sounds vibrated in the phone speaker. Soon, he heard someone moving with the phone, and after a few seconds, the voice that always made him smile came through the speakers.

"I am so sorry for Rita's mindless behavior, Mr. Ross."

Breathing out the breath he was unconsciously holding, Nick chuckled.

"It is alright. She sounds like a funny person."

Hearing a few shuffling sounds, he heard whisper yelling before she mimicked his chuckle, though he could image the blazing blush taking over her face at that moment.

"She is."

A few seconds passed, and he cleared his throat while leaning against the desk. He searched the tall ceiling for his words since he had not prepared himself for the phone call. Yes, he had dialed her number on a whim. Though feeling discouraged without no answer on the first call, he preserved on the second and was glad he did. Her voice sounded lovely, light, and filled with life. It made his already hectic day feel lighter. If he knew just hearing her voice made him feel this way, he should not have taken so long to call.

"So, how are you, Sharlene?"

Wishing he could find a pillow to stuff his head in, he bit his lip. Why did he come up with that lame question? He sounded more of an acquaintance than her fiance.