Chapter Forty

The moment he had entered the room, he had been picking on her, but why? She did not know the man and had never met him before until now. Sighing quite defeatedly in her head, she realized he was the male version of Madam Sinclair, another annoying and uptight boss. Her mind suddenly thought of Nicholas, the boss of her boss', and the sweetest man she had ever met, and inwardly thought with a scoff or so she thought.

"The man in question would not even act like these two."

Every person's eyes fell on her, including Rita and Janice's wide ones.

"Which 'these two,' Miss. Cunning-ham?"

Whoops. Did she talk out loud?

Gasping, when she realized she did indeed, Sharlene hurriedly dismissed the awkward moment with a wave of her hands.

"I apologize. I was thinking about a matter at home."

'Oh god. What is wrong with me?'

Embarrassingly groaning inside, Sharlene felt as if another human being had possessed her body for the past three days. Not only did she speak her mind more often, but she had more energy to think of unimportant things. She felt like her brain was frying with nonsensicalness.

She would not be surprised if she broke down in tears one day for absolutely nothing. Maybe it was high time she hit the pregnancy books and educate herself.

Feeling a soft nudge on her shoulder by Rita, she frowned when she realized everyone was still gazing at her. Did she do something again?

She did because Hector was fuming, though only in his eyes.

It appeared while she was daydreaming, Hector was speaking or had concluded the meeting, but she could not quite say since everyone was still sitting.

The rest of Hector's person looked calm and relaxed as he cleared his throat for maybe the hundredth time before proceeding. Sharlene began writing down her notes, her blush turning redder because of her lack of concentration. Putting on a somber expression on her face, after thanking Rita for her mindful nudge with a smile, she glued her eyes on Hector's lips.

"Placing Miss. Cunning-ham idea aside, what materials should we invest in for the products?"

An unfamiliar woman raised her hands, and Hector pointed in her direction. She was from the Planning and Event Department.

"Diamonds is an assured investment."

Sharlene saw Janice writing such information down and sheepishly smiled at her, but Janice brushed her embarrassment aside by rolling her eyes with a wink.

"What of pearls?"

Somebody voiced.

The meeting went on and on about the different materials used in crafting the pieces of jewelry. It went on for another half an hour until Hector was satisfied with the results.

Removing his glasses from his face, Hector sighed.

"I believe we can proceed with viewing the actual designs of the products after lunch."

As he spoke, he stood.

Stretching her fingers, for it had been the fastest she had written before, Sharlene was happy about the one-hour break.

"Meeting is adjourned."

Sternly, he added, and everyone was eager to leave the room. Chattering amongst themselves, everyone walked out of the door into the empty hallway.

"I am starving."

Rubbing her stomach, Rita also stood.

"Me too."