Chapter One Hundred and Forty-One

(I dedicate this chapter to @Alatary for creating such a beautiful book cover)

The moment Sharlene saw Nadia approaching, immense joy and homesickness overcame her. Giddy and thrilled, she proceeded to meet her halfway, but Helena's stern stare stopped her in her tracks. Pouting, though she was knowledgeable of her silent warning, Sharlene opened her arms wide.

She quickly wrapped her arms around the frail girl's shoulders as soon as she entered her warm embrace.

"I missed you so much, Shar. Words can't describe the joy I feel right now."

Tears pricked her eyes as she heard Nadia's sorrowful whispers, but Sharlene quickly blinked them away. She blamed it on her pregnancy hormones, though that was not entirely true. She hadn't seen her extended family for two months and three weeks. Seeing them today felt like a century.

Patting her head, an action the girl was familiar with, Sharlene's smile broadened.

"I missed you too, Dia. I hope you were a good girl to aunt Verona?"

Pulling away but not removing her arms around her waist, Nadia's cheeks flushed as she grinned.

"Of course, Shar. You know I always am. What about you? How have you been? Mom told me that you finally found your dream job."

Sharlene nervously laughed since that was far from the truth but close enough.

"I wouldn't call it that..., but it's something else."
Nadia's eyes twinkled as she spoke.
"When grandma told us you were going to get married, I was worried."

"Worried? Why?"
Sharlene asked with confusion. Did their Grandmother exaggerate about her engagement?

Twirling a strand of her hair with a finger, something she always did when she was embarrassed, Nadia blushed.

"Well, I thought I would not see you often because Quin said that your husband and his family might be rich and well-known. And from the many billionaire stories I have read, the heroine and her family are always miserable."

Sharlene laughed at the thought with a shake of her head.
"Silly girl. I think you are taking these books too seriously. I am not going anywhere. We will always be family."

Nadia breathed a heavy sigh of relief.
"You are right."
It appeared the thought was heavily weighing on her shoulders. Sharlene pulled her into another hug to calm her further worries while boasting.
"I am always right."
Nadia's laughter brought a smile to her face.

"There is your favorite cousin, Dee."
Verona interjected as she approached them with squealing Dee in her arms.

"Dee!"

Sharlene squealed. Pulling away from reluctant Nadia, she walked towards the little ball of sunshine.

Stretching her hands out, Dee was delighted, her jumbled gibberish increasing in volume as she spotted Sharlene. As soon as she was close enough, she grabbed onto her waywardly blowing hair. She wanted attention as much as Nadia.

"Ow."

Sharlene hissed, her scalp burning from the rough tug, but she was the least offended.

"You cutey pie, come here."

Cooing, she grabbed and placed giggling Dee in her arms. Peppering her soft and plump face with kisses, she managed to remove her hair from her tiny fist.

"Who is my little cutie? You are. Yes, you are. Did you miss cousin Shar as well?"

Dee squealed in response, her tiny teeth showing through her gums. Bouncing her up and down, Sharlene continued to coo.