Chapter Fourteen

That was not possible. No. She could and would not believe this. How in the world had this occurred? Was it from space? Had she woken from a terrible dream?

Is she on another planet or in another dimension like the manga's, novels, and webtoons she invested most of her free time in real? But, with continually pinching the soft part of her wrist that had already turned red from the constant abuse, Sharlene knew she was very much on earth and not dreaming. She was in reality.

------
It was another wonderful and sunny day, and the Cunning-ham family was blissfully joyful. Her sister and brother-in-law had returned two weeks later with happy smiles and surprise presents, their presence for the remaining two weeks made the house feel nostalgic and homey. Everyone was in the drawing-room enjoying a movie, except Lily, who found playing games on Sharlene's phone far more entertaining.

It was a Saturday, so there was no work, no school, and no distractions. The family was able to enjoy a fun day between themselves. The following day set for visiting the park or any other recreational site in the district.

AJ was not paying attention since he was engrossed in a new game he had downloaded on his phone with his head leaning on top of a comfortable flow pillow on the three-piece sofa arm and his legs laying on top of Helena and Clarice lap, who both sat next to him.

Once again, the immature, lazy, and laid back 17 years old teenager had gotten into trouble at school and got ten days suspension. He was currently five days into his holiday, and yet, was still able to have straight A's but a suffering reputation.

Helena had shouted from January-to-December to this laidback fellow on changing his attitude, but he dismissed her warning. After all, he was going to graduate in a few months. His disinterest in school showed that he was nowhere near looking forward to attending College.

Clarice and Helena were speaking, more like gossiping, their heads close to each other. Tristan was lulled asleep in a one-piece sofa separated by an end table. The voices of the people in the movie and his tired body tired had prompted this drossiness.

His soft snores gained the attention of Clarice, who coaxed him to leave the room to sleep more comfortably in the guest room, they currently occupied, but he stubbornly denied for he was comfortable. He fell back asleep.

Sharlene paid utmost attention to the television screen with a container of tissue paper near her legs. Since there was no space for her on the three and one-piece sofa, she sat in between Clarice's legs on a warm bed sheet with Lily on her lap.

Tears fell like water down her cheeks as the heartbreaking scene broke her heart. Sniffling, she wiped her red-eyes for the hundredth time, her emotional senses becoming mush as the characters came alive in her dramatic brain. When the movie was about to reach the climax, the house phone suddenly ringed.

That caused Tristan to shoot from his seat like the bodyguard he was. AJ raised an eyebrow, and Helena and Clarice paused in the juiciest part of their gossip. Lily was not bothered, her new attention shifting to AJ when she had witnessed the moving objects on the screen of his phone.

Pausing the movie with a frown, but tears still falling down her cheeks, Sharlene slowly stood from the floor.

"I got it!"

Shouting, she rushed towards the phone, plastered to the wall in the kitchen. She wanted to quickly end the call so that she could return to the movie.

"Hello."

She hurriedly spoke as soon as she answered the call.

With a few shuffling sounds, the person responded with a question.