Chapter One Hundred and One

He glanced at her, but she quickly dodged his smoldering gaze by turning to look at Rita, who had repeated her question with the biggest grin on her face. Sharlene frowned and remained silent. How could she answer a question that sounded so ambiguous?

"What Rita is trying to ask is, did you and Nick kiss, and if yes, did she disturb the romantic moment?"

Sharlene almost—almost choked on her saliva from Janice's statement, her eyes wide as she gazed at Rita for confirmation, to which the shameless girl eagerly nodded.

She gained a worried look from her mother, her face turning redder than usual from her slight coughing, but she quickly reassured her with a smile.

She then sputtered like a fish.

"Wha...what?"

"Rita said she saw you."

"You saw us?"

Apparent joy littered upon Rita's face.

"So, he did kiss you."

Blushing, Sharlene hurriedly shook her hands in front of her. What in the world gave Rita and Janice that silly idea?

"No, no, he did not."

"Oh my. Then why were your faces so close to each other?"

"He was removing a strand of my hair from my eyes."

Sharlene blushed as she said the most disbelieving lie.

"Removing a strand of hair from your eyes? Mmm. Now, why do I find that lie illogical?"

Rita mumbled as she placed a hand underneath her chin as if thinking about Sharlene's words.

"It's not a lie or illogical. That is what happened."

"If what you say is true, then I'll believe you. But why are you blushing as you say it?"

"I am not blushing."

Sharlene hurriedly denied, but her blush was still apparent on her face.

"Of course you are."

Rita and Janice teased by gently poking her soft baby cheeks. Slapping their hands from her face, she stubbornly retorted.

"I am not."

"Ho, ho. I don't buy it, but I will drop it at least for another day. And I am sorry for interrupting the moment he was going to kiss you."

Rita deviously said with a chuckle after pulling her hands away.

Pouting, Sharlene groaned.

"Riri."

Hearing Nick's breathy chuckle, she unconsciously lifted her eyes to look at him.

Instantly, her cheeks turned redder than before.

"Did he hear everything we said?"

She whispered.

Her question was rhetorical, but it appeared someone did not know the difference between asking and saying. And that person was the receiver of her annoyed glare sitting next to Nick.

"Of course he did. We all did. You can't share secrets when you are in a car full of other people, sis. It's kind of hard to miss, even if you don't want to hear it."

AJ was rapidly typing on his phone while he mumbled this. Glancing at Nick for a brief second in the corner of his eyes, he continued.

"Like that time you were calling Nick in your sleep, you..."