Chapter Five

It was the second time in two weeks that she was late. The first time, she was adjusting to the new lifestyle and had gotten the first-hand scolding from her boss in person, but now, she had gotten it over the phone.

It took twenty minutes to reach her workplace, a tall skyscraper that was exotically beautiful with gorgeous landscaping surrounding it.

Finding a durable parking spot in the large car park, she quickly gathered her stuff from the backseat. Known as a busy body, Sharlene was great with multi-tasking and maneuvering. It was because of this main thing her boss had hired her.

Closing the car door with her foot, it automatically locked.

Rushing into the large building, she greeted as many people as she could on her way up.
Some smiled her way, while others laughed at her unkempt hair and lack of makeup face. She brushed it aside because it was the least of her problems.

The news had already spread around the building that she was the 'errand girl' of their boss, although she was the woman's secretary. It was the beginning of her third week of working in the company.

Many people had sent her 'great job' postcards and 'well-wishes' baskets and flowers. She was a new milestone in the department. Sharlene's heart quickened when she saw the two elevator doors were slowly closing. Brushing her hair from her face, she chose the latter one since the first one had close.

She screamed at the top of her lungs towards the conductor.

"Wait!"

Thankfully, the woman had heard her. She stopped the door from closing. Rushing, she flew into the stacked place like she was a ballerina dancing on a stage.

"Thank you, everyone. Floor 6, please."

Breathless, she spoke to the frowning conductor, who was squeezing like a fish in the corner. Placing the loose strand of hair behind her ears, Sharlene was content.

"Good morning, everyone."

In a loud and polite voice, she gained a few scoffs and polite hellos and mornings in return, but she did not care. Known for her bubbly and optimistic view of life, everyone was enamored or tolerated her presence. She hopped out of the elevator as soon as her floor came on.

Running through the many cubicles, while waving a snickering Rita standing near the water fountain, and ignoring the curious eyes of her workmates, Sharlene barged into her office.

Finally able to dump the constricting bags on the sofa in the room, she had barely breathed in when her boss came strutting in without a single knock.

With red heels and a fabulous turtle neck, sweetheart shaped knee-length dress that hugged all her curves; Madam Sinclair was like a supermodel on the runway. She flipped her hair with her acrylic nails.

"Where is my coffee?"

Raised eyebrows, she pursed her lips.

"You know I cannot function without it."

Sharlene felt a bomb explode in her brain. She had forgotten about her bossy boss coffee.

"I forgot, maybe I..."

Cutting her off with a huff, Madam Sinclair waved a finger in the air.

"No. We have a meeting to attend to in the next hour, so you should get yourself..."

Glancing from her unkempt windblown hair to her ruffled clothes and bared makeup face, her boss's nose scrunched with distaste.

"What are you wearing, and what happened to your hair?"